Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've got this one going right now. I made it a couple of years ago, but I had a terrible cold and couldn't smell/taste, but everyone else claimed it was really good. We got ground beef & ground pork in our CSA this month, so it worked out!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...ese-sauce.html

I used bacon instead of pancetta, skipped the cheese rind, shredded carrots from a bag, and a can of tomatoes and some other sauce we already had.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Char Siu
    Char siu is a Chinese version of barbecue. Serve with sticky or long-grain white rice and a steamed or stir-fried medley of bell peppers, carrots, snow peas, sliced baby corn, and water chestnuts.
    Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork and 1/4 cup sauce)
    Ingredients
    1/4☺ cup☺ low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4☺ cup☺ hoisin sauce
    3☺ tablespoons☺ ketchup
    3☺ tablespoons☺ honey
    2☺ teaspoons☺ bottled minced garlic
    2☺ teaspoons☺ grated peeled fresh ginger
    1☺ teaspoon☺ dark sesame oil
    1/2☺ teaspoon☺ five-spice powder
    2☺ pounds☺ boneless Boston butt pork roast, trimmed I use pork loin instead
    1/2☺ cup☺ fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    Preparation
    Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
    Place pork and marinade in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
    Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board or work surface. Cover with aluminum foil; keep warm.
    Add broth to sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens. Shred pork with 2 forks; serve with sauce.
    I have this in the crock pot now and it smells fantastic. Although it seems ready and it's only been 5 hours. Dinner is still 2.5 hours away. Any thoughts, should I put it on warm? Or just turn it off and then reheat later? Or continue to let it cook? I was flipping the meat and it is falling apart.

I had 2-3 lbs of pork tenderloin (2 pieces) so maybe that's why it is finished cooking?

Thanks!

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post
    I have this in the crock pot now and it smells fantastic. Although it seems ready and it's only been 5 hours. Dinner is still 2.5 hours away. Any thoughts, should I put it on warm? Or just turn it off and then reheat later? Or continue to let it cook? I was flipping the meat and it is falling apart.

I had 2-3 lbs of pork tenderloin (2 pieces) so maybe that's why it is finished cooking?

Thanks!
    How funny...we had this for the first time tonight! Mine was on low for almost 10 hours, because that's how long we were out of the house, but I mixed the sauce in with the meat, since the meat fell apart, and it was fine. It was delicious, not that DD was even willing to try it....
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Pot Roast

My BIL recommended this recipe so I tried it last night:

http://www.recipezaar.com:80/To-Die-...ot-Roast-27208

I'm not sure about the measurements in ounces on the mixes in the original recipe. This is what I did:

I used a 3.5 boneless chuck roast
    1 packet of McCormick Brown Gravy mix (powder)
    1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (powder)
    1/2 packet of Good Seasonings Garlic and Herb Italian Dressing mix (powder)
    1 cup water in my 7 quart crock pot.

Mix the 3 packets together in a bowl. Rub onto the meat. Mix remaining seasonings with the water and pour over the roast.

Cook 8 hours on low.

Thicken gravy and serve with the roast. I skimmed off the fat (I trimmed off some of it but not all).

I was really worried the roast would be salty with all the packets so I cut the Italian Dressing one in 1/2, the original recipe recommends a full packet. I still thought it was a tad salty so I might get the 30% less sodium Brown Gravy packet next time.

I always thought pot roast was sliced. This fell apart so it was in "chunks", not the prettiest presentation but it really was a nice meal. I added 3 peeled carrots cut into 3 inch long pieces after 6 hours....they probably only needed 1.5 hrs to cook. I served with egg noodles.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Shout out to Kristenk...awesome recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but I like the idea of having a lot of recommended slow cooker recipes in the same place, so I'm posting it again.

Here's the link, but the full recipe is below:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1160644

Mediterranean Roast Turkey

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 4 ounces turkey and about 1/3 cup onion mixture)

Ingredients
    2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
    1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
    1/2 cup julienne-cut drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1 teaspoon Greek seasoning mix (such as McCormick's)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (4-pound) boneless turkey breast, trimmed
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Preparation

Combine first 9 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.

Combine remaining 1/4 cup broth and flour in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add broth mixture to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Cut turkey into slices.
    I finally made this recipe a few days ago and want to say thank you so much. It is incredible. Big hit with the whole family!!! thx for posting.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I finally made this recipe a few days ago and want to say thank you so much. It is incredible. Big hit with the whole family!!! thx for posting.
    Lisa,
    Did you cook it for 7 hours?

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yay! I'm so glad that you liked it!

It definitely doesn't seem like a typical slow cooker recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    Lisa,
    Did you cook it for 7 hours?
    Yep, between 7 and 8 hours because we weren't ready to eat right away. I came out fine.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yep, between 7 and 8 hours because we weren't ready to eat right away. I came out fine.
    OK. I was asking because I had to cut hours off a lemon chicken recipe as it was so dry when cooked according to the recipe. Suppose the other ingredients helped it stay moist here....good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    OK. I was asking because I had to cut hours off a lemon chicken recipe as it was so dry when cooked according to the recipe. Suppose the other ingredients helped it stay moist here....good to know.
    Oh, yes, it was very moist but if I remember correctly, I added some additional liquid like chicken broth or water.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5