Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Substitute for fine strainer?

I just bought all of the ingredients for a recipe but just noticed it calls for a fine strainer. I don't have one and don't feel like going out to buy one. Any ideas on a reasonable substitute? I was so excited to start my first batch of ice cream. All that talk of the WS one convinced me to get the Kitchenaid attachment (we don't have room for the Cuisinart).

This is the recipe if that helps:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/03/bu...tch-ice-cream/
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

Well, I've done a paper towel lined colander for stock. . . . I wonder if cheese cloth or a coffee filter would work. Just guessing here.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Well, I've done a paper towel lined colander for stock. . . . I wonder if cheese cloth or a coffee filter would work. Just guessing here.

Catherine
    I thought about the paper towel lined colander too... No cheese cloth or coffee filters here (we have a Keurig).

I might give up on this recipe anyway. Its kind of complicated and I want my first experience with the new toy to be a success. Thanks!
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

I'd be interested to hear how the new toy works out. DS is allergic to milk and I've thought of buying the ice cream attachment to the kitchen aide to make ice cream for him. . .

Catherine

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

According to those commercials, Viva paper towels will work!

I also would like to hear how you like the Kitchenaid attachment, I was in WS and stared at the ice cream maker but DH would not like the sight of me bringing in another separate kitchen appliance!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Cheesecloth?

ETA: Oh, I see you don't have any, the thick paper towel might work.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Do you have a spit up cloth? The thin kind? That would work.

Quote Originally Posted by fortato View Post
    Do you have a spit up cloth? The thin kind? That would work.
    LOL. I considered using an Aden & Anais blanket, but I couldn't go through with it. I made another recipe tonight (a no-cook vanilla/added pumpkin puree) and will pick up the strainer tomorrow to make the butterscotch.

The Kitchenaid worked fine for the pumpkin. It got it almost to soft serve consistency..it is in the freezer to set. It wasn't the best ice cream I've ever had (I prefer it to be more firm), but the kids really like it. I will update after I attempt a proper custard-style recipe.
    Last edited by MommyofAmaya; 01-21-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    ~C~

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

New pair of nylons should work. My sister had to resort to this for a dinner party. She said it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    New pair of nylons should work. My sister had to resort to this for a dinner party. She said it worked.
    LOL. I just saw this and I happen to have a pair of size A Sheer Energy sitting on my shelf for about a year (they are not my size).

I bought a fine strainer and tried out the butterscotch ice cream recipe above. It tastes exactly like Haagen Daas Five Brown Sugar... that is the ice cream that got me turned back on to ice cream. It has a very intense taste that I imagine some people would hate though. High marks for the Kitchenaid on this one. Again, it only got to soft serve consistency but will set in the freezer. YUM!
    ~C~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast