Default 23 Month Old Climbs Out of Crib

I would love some suggestions! Our 23 month old climbed out of his crib head first the other day. We are thinking of putting him in a toddler bed, as I have been told that once they climb out once, they will do it again. But we are so nervous about him being able to be up and around the house when we are asleep at night. We are also worried that he won't settle down for a nap anymore knowing that he can just get up and out of bed. I was recently told that the crib tents/netting which people have used in the past to keep their toddlers in the crib are now considered unsafe, is this true? Any thoughts and/or recommendations will be very much appreciated! Thank you!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Has he only done it once? Honestly, I would not do anything just yet if it was only once because it could have been a fluke. My ds1 did it once around that age one time and then not again for a whole year! I'm sure the head first fall was scary though! Is there anything in the crib that he could be using to give him height or leverage (bumpers, toys, pillows)? Is the mattress at the lowest setting? Is there furniture close to the crib (or attached like some dressers are)? My ds was able to climb out of his crib by getting onto the changing table that was next to his crib so we moved the changing table.

If you do need to let him go to a bed, you can always put a baby gate at his door. Most kids do get the gist of how they need to stay in their room/ bed in not too long. Just be prepared for some sleep troubles, especially at nap time, in the beginning. Really childproof that room too if he will have freedom.

Beth

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

If you do need to let him go to a bed, you can always put a baby gate at his door. Most kids do get the gist of how they need to stay in their room/ bed in not too long. Just be prepared for some sleep troubles, especially at nap time, in the beginning. Really childproof that room too if he will have freedom.

Beth
    exactly!
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

There is always a crib tent, too.
    Kris

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't heard that the crib tents aren't safe. I think if they were unsafe, they would be recalled and not on the market. My sister used one with her older daughter and I bought one when my son was 18 months old and climbed out of the crib. It's been working great for us and he loves it!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alirebco View Post
    I haven't heard that the crib tents aren't safe. I think if they were unsafe, they would be recalled and not on the market. My sister used one with her older daughter and I bought one when my son was 18 months old and climbed out of the crib. It's been working great for us and he loves it!

I haven't heard of them being unsafe either. But, I don't always trust recall stuff since some products that shouldn't be used, like Bundle Mes in carseats, are all over the place. But, yeah, if it was a serious risk I'd hope theyd be recalled.

Beth

nckd is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Hello. My DS is 19mo. She was jumping out of her crib as well. We converted her crib to a toddler bed and bought her bed bug bumpers. At first I thought she wasn't going to sleep in her toddler bed, but to my surprise she liked it. She doesn't get out and play like I thought she would. She sleeps fine. Our bedroom and my DS bedroom is upstairs. We have a gate at the stairs so she wont go down. She sleeps with her door shut. So, when she wakes up in the morning she knocks on the door and says, "Mommy". Sometimes I leave the door open and just shut our door. I still use the monitor in case she decides to explore her room at night.

nckd is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

oops. Didn't realize that the post was old. sorry.