Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Andi98989 View Post
    A large part of my frustration is that I tried prefolds with Thirsties Duo covers with him before he grew into the BG diapers and it was a total failure. I had wicking and leaks with basically every diaper, so I'm leary to go that route again.
    (speaking as a mama who has cd'ed two kids with only prefolds and thirsties covers)

This sounds like a usage issue more than a fault of the covers or prefolds - wicking shouldn't happen unless the prefold is as sopping wet as a washcloth in the bath, or if something happens like the diaper peaking outside the cover.

If we can help you troubleshoot the prefolds, that might be your best option. I truly think that Prefolds offer the most cost-effective and gentlest way to CD b/c you don't have to worry about all the hassle of fitteds or pockets.

Do you still have your prefolds and a few covers that fit? If you do the I would seriously try those before investing more money in fitteds (which I find create more leakage and absorbency issues and don't hold up as well long-term).
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the input, everyone! I got the BG 3.0's used, so thankfully I don't have too much invested in them, but they are my entire stash with the exception of the dozen prefolds and 3 Thirsties Duo covers. So sad! DH and I really liked them; they were easy for us to use, and the absorbency was awesome.

When I tried the prefolds/covers with DS before, I know it was definitely an operator-error issue. I tried every fold that I could find online, but I just could not figure out how to get a good fit. The jellyroll seemed to get the best fit around the legs, but after naps or playtime in his bouncer, I'd find wet spots on his back. I made sure that the whole diaper was inside the cover at each change. They were prefolds that I bought which have a green edge, but they weren't from GMD. I think they compare to the yellow edge ones on their site. I washed them quite a few times before I started using them.

DS is 3 months old; he's about 14 lbs now (based on weighing me and then me holding him). At his 2 month appointment, he was in the 50th percentile for weight and 90th for length. I think he's filling out a bit more now. He's been wearing size 2 Pampers for quite a while.

I was leaning towards getting some sbish fitteds to try
    DS1 - Oct. '09

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One question about the Thirsties covers...did you put them in the dryer on hot for an hour when you bought them (this seals the PUL and prevents leaks around the seams) or have they been always line-dried?
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Haven't really read through everything, but have you ruled out a yeast rash? If he has a yeast rash, every cloth diaper will probably set him off until you deal with the rash and get it out of your diapers.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with the previous posters on trying to make the prefolds work, to see if he does ok with the natural fibers. I would either double up on the prefolds or add some doublers. Sounds like you need more absorbency. Whenever my DS was rashy I let him go coverless and changed him right away when he peed.

I second the recommendation of Green Mountain Diapers (GMD) prefolds. They are my favorite prefolds They sizing is great and they are more absorbent. Yellows or Reds. There is a chart on her website.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm

I also really like her hemp doublers.

If we have another baby, we plan on keeping things pretty simple for home diapers. GMD Prefolds and either Clover Velour Fitteds or Sustainable Babyish Bamboo diapers. I haven't tried the SBish diapers, but have heard they are nap and night worthy for many babies. I also liked Mutts, they fit well around my DS's skinny legs. Clovers have adjustable elastic around the waist and legs, and the diapers are guaranteed for the life of the diaper.

When I started off CD I tried prefolds and didn't like them and I was scaried of wool. By the time I was done CDing my DS, I only used pockets/AIO for outings and daycare. And I loved prefolds and wool. So, simple really. DS got changed into wool longies as soon as he got home from daycare.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2