Thread: Caramel Bars

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Caramel Bars

I tried out this version of an oatmeal caramelite bar that I make, and this recipe is to die for! Wanted to share it b/c it is so yummy!

I recommend using an 8 x 8 pan and not the 9 x 13 pan mentioned in the recipe. There didn't seem to be enough "crumble" mixture for a 9 x 13 pan. An 8 x 8 pan worked perfectly for this recipe.

Also, if using an 8 x 8 pan, you may want to reduce the number of caramels, as it can be pretty sweet.

I also like them refrigerated.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel-Bars/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

* 32 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
    * 5 tablespoons heavy cream
    * 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup rolled oats
    * 3/4 cup brown sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 3/4 cup butter, melted
    * 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    * 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt together the caramels and heavy cream, stirring occasionally until smooth.
    2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the melted butter until well blended. Press Half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Reserve the rest.
    3. Bake the crust for 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove and sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour the caramel mixture over the top and then crumble the remaining crust mixture over everything.
    4. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until the top is lightly toasted. Cut into squares while it is still warm.
    Last edited by MMMommy; 01-25-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    I tried out this version of an oatmeal caramelite bar that I make, and this recipe is to die for! Wanted to share it b/c it is so yummy!

Also, if using an 8 x 8 pan, you may want to reduce the number of caramels, as it can be pretty sweet.
    Thanks for sharing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE caramel, so these look suer yummy to me. I'm also interested in the oatmeal carmelite bar you make.

and FWIW I can't imagine needing to cut back on caramel! TOo sweet doesn't exist at my house...LMAO

thanks
    Anne

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I LOVE LOVE LOVE caramel, so these look suer yummy to me. I'm also interested in the oatmeal carmelite bar you make.

and FWIW I can't imagine needing to cut back on caramel! TOo sweet doesn't exist at my house...LMAO

thanks
    Anne
    The Caramel Bar recipe is a lot better than the oatmeal caramelite recipe. But here is the oatmeal caramelite bar recipe.

Oatmeal Caramelites

Mixture:
    1 cup wheat flour
    1 cup oatmeal
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup butter, melted
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt

Combine Mixture ingredients. Put half in 9 x 9 inch square pan and press down firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Second Layer:
    1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (I prefer pecans, but any nut should work)

Sprinkle second layer over baked crust.

Third Layer (mix the wheat flour with the caramel topping):
    3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
    3 tbs wheat flour

Combine Third Layer and drizzle over Second Layer. Spread remaining Mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and cut into small squares.

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)