Default Do you have a pressure cooker?

I'm trying to decide if I *need* a pressure cooker. Some background: currently a SAHM, but will WOTH starting next October. 2 boys, ages 6 and 4, plus DD (infant).

Right now, I make food that I can slam on the table within 30 minutes. But I miss braising. I do have a crockpot, but it's just not the same as cooking over the flame, kwim?

Anybody have one? What brand? What size?

Thanks!
    --Jennifer

I had seen this one on line, and it got me thinking I *needed* one too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPC-.../dp/B000MPA044

However, I borrowed one from my mom, that she has had for a few years and never used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JP07GQBKW6G7FC

I have only used it twice, and both times I made a whole chicken. A whole chicken in 25 minutes!!!!! But I have no other ideas on what to make. So I am guessing that *I* didn't need a pressure cooker, but you are probably a much more imaginative cook than I am.

What were you going to use it for? Give me some ideas!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love my pressure cooker and I hate my slow cooker, so I think that there is no comparison btwn the two. I have a Fagor and really love it (but wish I would have gotten a larger size). The food tastes fantastic, much of it is the same stuff that I usually make, but I can just make it more quickly in the pressure cooker. If you are going back to work, I definitely feel that a pressure cooker would be worth it to make meals easier for you. Even if you cook something the night before for the next day, at least you are not stuck having to babysit it for too long, kwim?
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a Fagor as well. It does really well for pot roast and dry beans (in 5 -8 minutes, depending on the type)!! Also real brown rice in 14 minutes (no more boil in bag!). I have never tried a whole chicken, but that is a neat idea!

I use mine a lot, but for specific things, KWIM? I also WOTH, and I while would not want to give my pressure cooker up, it has not been a "total solution" for me. I still use a variety of other cooking techniques and tools. The Fagor is good quality and not very expensive relative to super-high end stuff.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.