Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Chuck roast-what can I do with it?

I bought a chuck roast that was on sale and it has been sitting in my fridge staring at me reproachfully. I need to cook it today because I am afraid it will spoil. It is 4.30 lbs. Any ideas for a recipe? We just had beef stew and BBQ this past week, so I would like to avoid those, if possible. TIA!

We love to make roast beef - I use this recipe and it turns out great every time.....

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roast_beef/

I use the same cooking method to use the beef to slice for french dip sandwiches.

Erin
    DS 8/05
    DD 1/08
    DS 3/11

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You could also do pot roast. There are a ton of recipes available online, but my SIL makes hers in the CrockPot with a can of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery if mushrooms aren't your thing), a packet of onion soup mix, potatoes, carrots and celery. (Leave for 8 hours on low.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OMG chuck roasts make the BEST pot roasts!

Search on Allrecipes.com for Marie's Slow Cooker Pot Roast. It's the best! I just made it two days ago. I don't put the veggies in at the beginning--I put them in about 4 hours before we're going to eat and they turn out perfect.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    You could also do pot roast. There are a ton of recipes available online, but my SIL makes hers in the CrockPot with a can of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery if mushrooms aren't your thing), a packet of onion soup mix, potatoes, carrots and celery. (Leave for 8 hours on low.)
    This! I salt and pepper the chuck roast, then brown it in a pan. Place it in the crockpot. I mix two cans of cream of mushroom with two packets of Lipton Onion Soup Mix (1 can mushroom soup to 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup mix ratio) and dump it over the roast. Some people use just one can/1 packet, but I like lots of sauce. It is delicious over rice. I did it on slow for several hours, and then bumped it up to high, then back to low. All day cooking.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Oh man, I don't even have one can of cream of mushroom etc in my pantry....I will look up the other recipes to see if I have all the ingredients. But keep those suggestions coming! Thanks, Liz

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you have a packet of onion soup mix just add that with 1c water or even some regular onions you can chop up and throw in with beef or chicken broth, you can throw it in the crockpot and do it. but DO IT NOW--it benefits from a LONG cooking time.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Brown the meat on all sides, with salt and pepper to taste, and if you're into it throw some onion/garlic in the oil beforehand.

Toss browned meat into a crock pot or french oven with yummy liquid up to almost the top of the meat - this can be wine, onion soup, whatever - with veggies. Any veggies, but roots like onions, carrots, potatoes, and strong flavors like celery work very well.

Cook on low (either in the crock pot or oven) for many (6-8) hours.

Adjust salt/pepper and enjoy!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    If you have a packet of onion soup mix just add that with 1c water or even some regular onions you can chop up and throw in with beef or chicken broth, you can throw it in the crockpot and do it. but DO IT NOW--it benefits from a LONG cooking time.
    Well, I have been so busy this morning I don't think I can use the slow cooker (it won't be ready in time). How long do you think it would take in a enameled cast iron pot (similar to a le creuset)? Your recipe and the recipe from ThreeofUs sounds really good.

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is a wonderful Oven pot roast recipe: http://www.donogh.com/cooking/casserol/potroast.shtml

And here's another favorite of mine (nice because I always seem to have all the ingredients too!)
    Roast in Beer Gravy
    3-4 pound roast
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 pkg. dry onion soup
    1/4 c. ketchup
    1 tsp. brown sugar
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 can beer (any kind)

Line baking pan with foil. Mix all ingredients together. Pour mixture over meat. Seal foil tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours. Can also make in the crock pot. YUM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast