Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    How long do you think it would take in a enameled cast iron pot (similar to a le creuset)? Your recipe and the recipe from ThreeofUs sounds really good.
    Chuck roasts are horrible if not cooked long and slow. Stringy, fatty, tough - that's why they're so good for slow cookers.

That said, you could get away with a 325 oven, a dutch oven (le creuset and similar), for 4ish hours. Do you have enough time now? eek.

You know, though, roasts like this taste fantastic the second day. Why not substitute hot dogs or something easy, lol, for today, cook the roast long and slow, and have it tomorrow?
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, DebbiJ, thank you for the link! Talk about step by step instructions-love it! I had done all of these steps (yay!) before reading your response, but the website helped me with adjusting the time/temp. I have been so disappointed with all my roast beef in the past because they werer so tough. I finally sprung for an enameled cast iron dutch oven and have had great success with other dishes, but I was wary of making the dreaded pot roast. The only thing I didn't do was add the carrots, but the website said don't lift the cover off the pot (similar to a slow cooker), so I guess I will cook them separately?

Thank you all for the recipes. I will post after the taste test.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love chuck roast for pot roast. If you have a dutch oven, I brown it in there first with some olive oil. Remove from pot, sautee onions, garlic carrot. Use a little red wine or red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan. Add roast back in with veggie mixture. Then, I throw in some baby portabella mushrooms, canned tomatoes and some tomato paste. I bake in the oven covered at 250 for several hours. It comes out really moist.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, the roast came out perfect! I pretty much followed the recipe from the pioneer woman website, but added onion soup mix/water (2 cups). I am glad I didn't add the carrots. I found I prefer the veggies to taste like veggies and not the sauce from the roast. I put the roast in for 4 hours in the enamelled cast iron pot -it was soooo tender. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    This! I salt and pepper the chuck roast, then brown it in a pan. Place it in the crockpot. I mix two cans of cream of mushroom with two packets of Lipton Onion Soup Mix (1 can mushroom soup to 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup mix ratio) and dump it over the roast. Some people use just one can/1 packet, but I like lots of sauce. It is delicious over rice. I did it on slow for several hours, and then bumped it up to high, then back to low. All day cooking.
    This is the roast recpipe I grew up on and I now make it for my family. It is great. I do have to be careful and watch DD1 because one night I went into the kitchen to get something and came back to find DD1 drinking the gravy.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds like your pot roast turned out great. If you're ever in the mood to try a different preparation, this is awesome. I just make roasted or mashed potatoes and a vegetable with it. It's now DH and my favorite way to have pot roast.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Sounds like your pot roast turned out great. If you're ever in the mood to try a different preparation, this is awesome. I just make roasted or mashed potatoes and a vegetable with it. It's now DH and my favorite way to have pot roast.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
    I made this tonight! It was great! It was my first time cooking red meat (recovering vegetarian) but dh eats a lot of pot roast and said it was good (of course he had better say that )

We liked it a lot and one dd even ate it up! Thanks for the recipe!

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    I made this tonight! It was great! It was my first time cooking red meat (recovering vegetarian) but dh eats a lot of pot roast and said it was good (of course he had better say that )

We liked it a lot and one dd even ate it up! Thanks for the recipe!
    You're welcome. It really is so tender and tasty. I'm so glad you liked it.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2