Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fondue

Default Fondue

I'm thinking about having a fondue party. I'm thinking cheese and then dessert (either chocolate or dulce de leche). Help me think through what all to serve with these things. (Also, if you have a great recipe to share, please do!)
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We get the Swiss fondue cheese from Costco (just warm and serve), its great. Can't remember the name -- Swiss Knight? Its in a red box.

My fave with the cheese fondue is bread. White bagette to be specific. Brocolli and cauliflower are good, as are mushrooms. Really, pretty much any veggie you could put a cheese sauce on is good in fondue.

For chocolate fondue, I just melt Cadbury milk chocolate. Just that. OMG, so good. Strawberries, bananas (my fave), pineapple, apple, pear. Pretty much anything with chocolate.

Yum. What time should I come over -- I can bring a regular and a chocolate fondue pot!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Fresh pineapple is YUMMY with chocolate fondue!!!! We also do rice krispy treats.
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Yum. What time should I come over -- I can bring a regular and a chocolate fondue pot!
    Come on over - you're welcome anytime!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have a very old (70's) fondue cookbook that has fun recipes, and I got some highend cheeses from the gourmet store near us. Funny, but the old cookbook called for sauterne, which was hard to find.

TJ's sells some fondue(seasonal item) and we have some in the fridge. Wish we could walk to the grocery for some fresh bread, but we have lots of snow. I bet they aren't even baking any right now.

We've done a few parties before DS1 and 2 arrived. We did meats in one pot, with side dipping sauces. Cheeses were in 2 other pots with breads, apples. For dessert, we did chocolate with pineapple, banana, strawberries. We had several pots for all the courses (and lots of friends). It's pretty labor-intensive.
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 01-31-2010 at 10:38 AM.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you want to do meat, but not an oil fondue, I've done a yummy meat and chicken fondue using bouillion. Low fat and yum!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You've already had great suggestions, but I would add a couple of things that this great Chicago fondue place serves with their stuff.

with their cheese fondue:
    in addition to baguette, rye or pumpernickel; apple chunks

with chocolate:
    pound cake cubes (my favorite part)

poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love fondue!

If you have a cheese shop near by, I would go there and get the cheese, usually Gruyère but any you like is fine. They also have baguettes that they can slice up for you.

I know Trader Joe's also has a package of fondue cheese--never tried but I usually like what they carry.

With cheese, any kind of veggies, already mentioned, including baby carrots, pearl onions, mushrooms, ...

Chocolate--any fruit, pretzels, cake, everything is good in chocolate. I sprinkled confectioner's sugar over all the fruit before serving--made it look nice.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw this one on 'Good Eats' but haven't tried it yet:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

However, I've found GE recipes to be incredibly reliable, so I have no problem recommending them to anybody even if I've not personally tested them.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We love fondue. We have it for dinner about once a month with a salad. I use Gruyere and Emmentaler cheeses - it was the recipe that came with the fondue pot. I usually buy a block of each and use my Kitchen Aid attachment to shred it, but I recently found shredded cheese in a bag at my local grocery that has those two cheeses already prepped, and it didn't cost that much more.

I love it with a French Bagette.

For chocolate fondue we went to a party that had it for dessert and in addition to fruits, pound cake and rice krispy treats they had raisins (raisinettes!) and marshmallows to dip. Pretzel sticks might be fun too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast