Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Well, this might make you feel better - I also was pretty much all baby with my pregnancy. After DD came home andall my swelling went down, I weighed only about 7 lbs more than I did pre-pregnancy. I have since put on about 10 lbs since I started bfing. As others have said, 3 weeks post is too early to start worrying.

Mother to a precious little Kitten

Some people lose, but some people also gain. First, it's still too early to even tell which camp you're in - you're only 3 weeks pp! If you're one of the ones that gain DO NOT beat yourself up about it. It's not something you can do anything about.

I lost 20 lbs when I gave birth to DS (the weight of the baby plus water etc) and then proceeded to GAIN 10 lbs. over the course of his first year while exercising and really watching what I ate. I had previously been a very fit, active, and average-sized person so I *knew* what to do, and yet it didn't work. I swam laps, walked, did mommy/baby aqua classes, XC skiied on weekends, and rode my bike on the trainer and outdoors. I also did abs work and weights. Nothing budged. It just about killed me at the time it was so frustrating.

The next year I weaned DS and had much less time to exercise due to being f/t in school yet proceeded to drop all the weight. Partially due to being sick from the illnesses he brought home from daycare bi-weekly. Fun. Part of my weight gain was exacerbated by a thyroid problem, but that was treated at 4 mos out pp and I still held the weight while BF. So, unfortunately I don't have much advice on how to healthfully lose, or keep from gaining, weight, but I'd just like to say be gentle with yourself and don't beat yourself up about it. It sucks, but it might take some time.

Like so many say - nine months on, nine months off...and then some.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 02-01-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Nine months off?? I wish that were true...

I gained very little with DD and did not look pregnant until the last couple of months or so. I weighed myself on my second day home after delivery (which was also the day my milk came in) -- I actually weighed MORE than the day before the delivery!!! I put on weight during the first couple of months of BFing. Then I stayed steady for the remainder of the year. After I was finally done BFing, I lost ~ 5 lbs, and that was it. I have since gone on a diet and lost most of the excess weight, but my body still barely resembles the one I used to have (the breasts seem particularly alien).

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

As so many have said, 3 weeks is WAY too early to know or worry about this.

I've read (and am still hoping!) that some people lose weight after they finish breastfeeding. I say that because I never lost the weight, even though I was exercising and cut out all the junk food. I was still easily 10 lbs over my pp weight. I couldn't wear most of my pp clothes because both my boobs and my waistline were much bigger than pp, although I was able to buy some clothes 1 size bigger that worked well for me.

But I was still nursing when I got pregnant again, so I never had a chance to find out if I would have lost the weight otherwise.

It's driving me nuts. It's driving DH nuts. But I'm trying to be patient. (DD will be 20 months old this week, so I've been patient, I really have been.)

But at just 3 weeks? Just try to get some sleep!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

I read just a few of the replies, but have to agree with the 9 months on...9 months off theory. It took me 6 months to lose the weight (& I was only pregnant for 6 months.) 3 weeks is too soon to think your weight should have changed so drastically. Your body is still probably in shock, so it's just holding on to what it has until it figures things out. Go to WalMart and buy yourself a few pairs of transitional pants (stretchy jeans, etc.) I will help you a bunch emotionally if you don't have to wear your preggo pants.

Also...I'd be willing to bet you're not eating enough. Especially since you're so concerned about losing the weight, you're probably trying to cut back in calories (consciously or subconsciously.) That's a quick ticket to slowing down your metabolism. Your body truly needs a bunch of extra calories for breastfeeding & if you're not getting them, then your metabolism is going to come to a screeching halt to try to conserve. Eat more. Eat a lot more for a week and see what happens.

Hang in there! You are still probably experiencing a lot of hormonal flux (I know I was then) and this too shall pass. Just keep enjoying that new baby!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

With DD2, I could only breastfeed her for 3 months, but did not even lose a pound during that time. With DD1 (breastfed for 12 months) and seriously left the hospital after a week with only 5 lbs. left to lose, that 5lbs. was totally off plus even more by her christening at 3 months. I gained a little more with DD2 during my pregnancy but not much. I don't know what the difference was, maybe I just didn't eat as well, although I'm someone who tends to eat the same things all the time. I can say the weight is almost all off now and she is 13 months tomorrow. I'd say not to worry about it, just eat well and enjoy your little one.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Good grief. At 3 weeks postpartum....I didn't even feel well enough to stand on the scale! Give yourself a break, it is way too early to be concerned about weight-loss, IMO.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Good grief. At 3 weeks postpartum....I didn't even feel well enough to stand on the scale! Give yourself a break, it is way too early to be concerned about weight-loss, IMO.
    FWIW, at our LLL, it seems like 9 mo is when a lot of moms are able to shed some of pregnancy wt that didn't come off. That may seem like an eternity for you, but don't fret! Once your little one is mobile, you're going to be so exhausted from chasing your toddler all over the place! Also, at 3 wk pp, you shouldn't be dieting at all if you are BFing. You're still building up your milk supply, so just be careful about cutting calories too drastically.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At 3 weeks, I would try not to worry about it.

I gained a lot of weight with my boys. A.LOT. and I did lose like 30 lbs in the first few weeks, but that left 20-30 lbs still to lose. With DS1 I gradually lost a little more and then plateaued and the last 10 stuck around until I was done bfing at a year. 6 months later I was back to normal.

My second son, I held on to 20 lbs and to be completely honest, I still have a little less than 10 left despite my hard work. I nursed him until he was 2.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oh and just a heads up and not to be depressing. However, even when you DO lose your pregnancy wt, it doesn't mean you can fit back into your old clothes. It's like your fat redistributes itself into different areas. My pre-pg pants never fit correctly again after I got pregnant, even though I lost my pregnancy wt. I just seem to carry more around my middle than I ever did, even at the same wt pre-pg. So, that's something that is relatively, "normal" too postpartum.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast