Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Your body changes after pregnancy and childbirth. Nursing or not nursing may not have anything at all to do with how you look or how quickly you lose the pregnancy weight. I think that feeling of still "looking pregnant" for a long time after having the baby is a very common and is often surprising for a lot of women.

Many, many women wear their maternity clothes for a long time after they have a baby. Maybe not the 8-9 month ones, but the ones they wore at 3-6 months, certainly.

Try to give yourself a break. Truly, you are just settling in and still coming to terms with life post-baby.

Beth could not have said it better. A lot of women do not lose a ton of wt from BFing. I deal with a lot of BFing women, b/c I am a LLL leader, so this topic of discussion comes up regularly. To the point where I think that it has become blown up to the point of an urban legend. It DOES help you to lose some wt, but for most ppl it's not going to be to the point where all of their pg wt magically comes off within a few wks. Do NOT feel like you are odd for not dropping off wt after a few wks postpartum. If anything, your exp is more the norm. I only know a few ppl were lost a ton of wt from BFing, and they were the exception.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It really and truly will come off but it may be gradual in the coming months. I was expecting instant weight loss after ds2 because I had that with ds1. It didn't happen. We described my belly as a deflated spare tire for at least those first 5 weeks, probably longer. Things gradually got better though. I had been in my pre-pregnancy jeans at 10 days pp with ds1. It took several months with ds2. I really didn't exercise very much or diet and the weight just came off with ds2. Breastfeeding really does help most of the time.

Get into weight training when you get back to the gym. Great metabolism boost!

Beth

I gained weight with breastfeeding. My first, I never lost a pound giving birth to him and continued to gain until he weaned. My second, I lost during the delivery thanks to a natural birth with no IV, but started gained with breastfeeding and gained until she weaned. Even with my third, who is adopted, I have gained weight breastfeeding her.

I figure my body belongs to the babies while I am feeding them. After they are done with it, then I can get back the body I want instead of the body I need to feed them.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I lost a couple pounds a week for the first month or so and then slowly added weight back on (mostly on my upper body)... with ALL THREE BABIES

I definitely am one to hold on the weight while BFing, partly b/c I'm always ravenous. Once I stop BFing then the weight comes off pretty easy.

I take the attitude 'it is what it is'... and it's worth it. Cut yourself some slack - @ 3 wks post partum I don't think you should worry about weight at all. Instead congratulate yourself for feeding your baby the best baby food there is
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I lost a couple pounds a week for the first month or so and then slowly added weight back on (mostly on my upper body)... with ALL THREE BABIES

I definitely am one to hold on the weight while BFing, partly b/c I'm always ravenous. Once I stop BFing then the weight comes off pretty easy.

I take the attitude 'it is what it is'... and it's worth it. Cut yourself some slack - @ 3 wks post partum I don't think you should worry about weight at all. Instead congratulate yourself for feeding your baby the best baby food there is
    i think this may be the case with me...ever since i started breastfeeding i wake up several times a night STARVING out of my mind, sometimes even gives me a headache. i basically feel 2-3 times as hungry as i did when i was pregnant. it's almost like i can't eat enough. i figured at first this was normal since i need the extra calories to make the milk etc, but then i am gaining weight, so it feels horrible, like i am being forced to gain this wt; i cant' really diet or cut back on food intake because i literally feel like i am going to die of starvation if i cut back. at this point i'm guessing my body just needs to hang on to as much fat as possible to make enough milk to feed my hungry DS.....just last night he downed ~6 oz in one feeding, and he's just 1 month old!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I didn't lose much weight after a month into BFing. UGG.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5