Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    I'm so sorry! I should have maybe done a warning ...
    No warning necessary, but ignorance was bliss! I don't even think I can do the freezer thing...that'd be like admitting I KNOW there are bug eggs in there I'm going to eat.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am totally ignoring this talk of bugs. There are no bugs or eggs or critters of any kind in anything I buy, nev-er, ev-er. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To test baking powder for freshness:

Put 1 teaspoon of baking powder in half a glass of *hot* water. If it bubbles, it's good.

Off to test my baking powder...

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    To test baking powder for freshness:

Put 1 teaspoon of baking powder in half a glass of *hot* water. If it bubbles, it's good.

Off to test my baking powder...
    K, just tested it, and it does bubble. However, I looked at the expiration date, and, um ... I don't want to tell you what it is. It's way too embarrassing. I will, however, admit to you that I can only assume that I moved it into this house from my previous dwelling. Actually, if the date is accurate, then it would be the dwelling even before that.

It's in the garbage. A new can is on the shopping list. I'm going under my desk now.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

K, just tested it, and it does bubble. However, I looked at the expiration date, and, um ... I don't want to tell you what it is. It's way too embarrassing. I will, however, admit to you that I can only assume that I moved it into this house from my previous dwelling. Actually, if the date is accurate, then it would be the dwelling even before that.

It's in the garbage. A new can is on the shopping list. I'm going under my desk now.
    Don't hide from me. DH was going through our kitchen cabinets last night looking at all of our miscellaneous flours, powders, etc. He found something with a use by date of January 2004. We thought it best to throw that out. On a positive note, he didn't see any bugs in any of the stuff. Now that I think about it, they probably died a couple of years ago. :

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, Kristen, 2004. If only. This one began with a 19. Back to my hole ...
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Honestly, the whole thing with the eggs and the flour and mixes really skeeves me out. Maybe I should start freezing ...
    I am SO with you on this. We store all our flours, etc., in the freezer. Otherwise we'd have to move. Lots o' moths around here.

*shudder*
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Not sure if this helps, but I've read that mixing pancake batter too much makes it dense. So you're supposed to mix it until it is just wet.

Also, I find if the batter is too thin, then it spreads out more and seem thinner and less fluffy. If I reduce the wet/dry ratio a little, the pancakes are a little thicker. Of course, if they are dense then that just means you have hockey pucks instead of tortillas!

Good luck with your experiments!
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    I am SO with you on this. We store all our flours, etc., in the freezer. Otherwise we'd have to move. Lots o' moths around here.

*shudder*
    Yep, all of our grains are in the freezer too (especially during the summer) unless they are double wrapped (baggie and storage container, for example).

Beth

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh gosh, good for for trying. We only do Aunt Jemima Wheat pancakes at our house. They are yummy.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast