Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Oh, Kristen, 2004. If only. This one began with a 19. Back to my hole ...
    Oh, dear. I can't compete with that one.

I think it's safe to say that the hot water test might not be the most accurate after all.

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by truly scrumptious View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but I've read that mixing pancake batter too much makes it dense. So you're supposed to mix it until it is just wet.
    Yes - this is very important! Just mix until moistened or blended.

Just made this recipe today for the first time after hearing SIL rave and rave about it:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/ed...ream-pancakes/
    SIL makes it with yogurt - I happened to have sour cream so I used it. SIL uses vanilla yogurt and omits the vanilla. The recipe was SO easy and the pancakes were super moist and fluffy.

ETA: Yeah, we can't keep boxed or single bagged grains in our pantry closet either. Everything has to be in a jar or double bagged. Much of it is in the fridge or freezer, though. Learned that the hard way!
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Well, my baking powder is ... really old, I admit. Maybe it's time to buy new baking powder.

I'm afraid of mixes. I had some good old Bisquick years ago, and while it was relatively older, like six or seven months, it had never once been opened. I went to use it for the first time, and there were bugs crawling around INSIDE the unopened bag. I was like how'd they get in there?! I literaly threw away every single non-canned item in my pantry and cleaned it all top to bottom and replaced everything. I later learned that this is not uncommon and that it really does happen and it wasn't me. However, that did not make me feel better. And now I check every flour-like substance before I use it, from flour to baking soda, you name it. I won't use it if I can't see into it and check it for critters. And I just can't use a mix.
    OK, to further add to your list of ickie-skeevies, I once encountered a bunch of moth-like flying creatures when opening a new box of instant oatmeal packets. I know what you mean becuase it turned me permanently to buying whole, bulk oats.

BTW, is there a smilie for being skeeved out? 'Cause I looked for it and couldn't find it!
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you follow this recipe (I swap whole wheat flour 1:1 for the white flour in the recipe), trust me, it is foolproof. You have to shake the pan a bit when you put the batter in to cook (its quite thick), but other than that, foolproof.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh, and I replace my baking powder and baking soda at least yearly, usually ever 6m, regardless of if it is finished or not (I don't toss the baking soda, I just use it for cleaning). I can't remember how to do it, but you can add stuff to them to see if they are still "good".
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, i'm trying to ignore the "bug talk", ick.

Here's a pancake recipe that has never failed me and my baking powder has been fairly old, not from the 1900's old , but at least 1-2 years.

2 cups flour
    4 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbs sugar (optional, I omit most of it, I just toss in maybe a tsp)
    3 eggs beaten
    1/3 cup oil (I use canola)
    2 cups milk

Sift together dry ingredients, mix eggs, oil and milk and stir in until just blended.

I usually cut the recipe in 1/3 or 2/3 (b/c of # of eggs) because it is quite a lot of pancake batter.

I've also used the following egg substitute and it still comes out fluffy:

1.5 TBS oil
    1.5 TBS water
    1 tsp baking powder

for EACH egg...

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Awesome recipes, thank you!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3