Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I believe OP wants "shelf stable" items that the teacher can store?
    YES! Exactly!
    And something along the lines of what we are already doing. We currently allow specific brands of graham crackers, vanilla wafers, teddy grahams, goldfish, and pretzels. This ensures no one is ever popping in with a snack from the wrong brand (nut-wise). It's been checked in, checked against the list, and put in the stash.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    You might not be OK with this, but perhaps consider that a true food allergy can be fatal whereas most people who avoid HFCS, food dye, etc are doing so by choice, not by medical necessity.... Not trying to be snarky, but maybe giving you a differnet perspective?...
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!
    And that is why the nut thing is priority #1, non-negotiable. We've only allowed approved brands for that reason all year.

The HFCS and food dye are MY thing. Teddy Grahams are free of both and on the approved nut list. I was hoping something with more natural ingredients would fit before I ordered a case of those, though, hence the OP question.

Also, I wanted to ask in case Teddy Grahams have some evil mutant ingredient I am not aware of making them even more nasty than your average HFCS-snack. Because, truthfully, I would not know...but you all would. And that's why I you.
    Last edited by srhs; 02-02-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Default What?!?

Ok, I said Teddy Grahams were HFCS-free, and that is according to their website:
    http://www.nabiscoworld.com/teddygrahams/
    (Click Varieties then Honey or Cinnamon)

So I just went to order them at Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Teddy-Grahams-...5086311&sr=1-2
    and HFCS is in the ingredient list of both the Honey and Cinnamon.

???
    Am I in Canadian Teddy Land or something?

ETA: Ok, the box fronts are different. Did they change recently?
    Last edited by srhs; 02-02-2010 at 12:58 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I noticed that the mini varieties and regular ones of Teddy Grahams have slightly different ingredients.

I would research other pretzel options. You can get some shapes that are less likely to be choking issues (though I have never thought of pretzels at all of being choking hazards and comfortably give them to my little one). Like the snap shaped ones. Also, check the brands because I know that the one we buy does not have HFCS.

What about cereal? A little strange on the surface but I bet some kids would enjoy it. Multi grain or regular Cheerios, for example.

In my ds2's preschool class they give them veggie straws, like veggie chips just in a different shape. They might be worth a look.

Beth

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post
    Well if TJs is no good and Annie's doesn't specifically print that they do not use shared equipment, I am back to Teddy Grahams. Can anyone think of a less offensive snack in the dry-goods category for a reasonable price?

(Thanks for the rec and I will look at the Enjoy Life brand for home, but that is pretty pricey for the whole class. I'm talking about providing enough snacks for the whole class for the rest of the year just so my kid doesn't get the junk I don't want him to have but the other moms are fine with.)
    Annie's says they disclose all shared equipment: http://www.annies.com/allergy_information

Kashi crackers are another option. The TLC crackers - original and chedder are hits here. Here is their allergen statement: http://stage.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/br...=kashi;id=1149
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks ladies for more food-for-thought on this...

The choking hazard... this is my fault. I put "toddler" in the title, but it's specifically a 1-yo class. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the pretzels and raisins in that class for those really young ones, especially, but those are good suggestions for others who might run across this query.

As for the Annie's link, I guess I don't see the definitive "no shared nut equipment on bunnies" part. Am I missing it? I see that the cereal DOES have shared equipment but no specifics either way on the bunnies. I see that it says they do tell you, but where do they say bunnies are not on shared equipment? Again, I don't have a box here in front of me, but I think a PP said it's not on the box.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post
    Thanks ladies for more food-for-thought on this...

The choking hazard... this is my fault. I put "toddler" in the title, but it's specifically a 1-yo class. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the pretzels and raisins in that class for those really young ones, especially, but those are good suggestions for others who might run across this query.

As for the Annie's link, I guess I don't see the definitive "no shared nut equipment on bunnies" part. Am I missing it? I see that the cereal DOES have shared equipment but no specifics either way on the bunnies. I see that it says they do tell you, but where do they say bunnies are not on shared equipment? Again, I don't have a box here in front of me, but I think a PP said it's not on the box.
    The FAQ says: "However, we want you to know that some products are produced in a plant that processes foods containing wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, crustaceans/shellfish, and egg. This is why we voluntarily chose to update our packaging to include this allergen information."

Basically they say that they will disclose the shared equipment products. Since they disclose it on some products, such as the cereal and not the bunnies, it sounds like they are not on shared equipment. You can always call and ask them or buy one box to start with and see what it says.

Pretzels are a choking hazard? Former President Bush aside, I don't think I've ever seen that on a list of choking hazards. They aren't any different than crackers or goldfish, IMO. Get sticks if you are really concerned. Raisins are a whole different story.
    Last edited by o_mom; 02-02-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Just a clarification -- Annie's makes different kinds of bunnies. Most of them contain milk, but Cinnamon Grahams and Honey Grahams don't. And they're available at Target (some varieties). DD is allergic to dairy, and virtually all snack foods contain some -- so we pack Annie's Bunny Grahams and cheerios.

Earth's Best has some snacks -- elmo crackers, etc. - that might fit the bill. Check their website for the selection.

Happy Baby makes a new line of shelf-stable Cheerio-type snacks -- they're probably HFCS-free, but ridiculously overpriced.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    The FAQ says: "However, we want you to know that some products are produced in a plant that processes foods containing wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, crustaceans/shellfish, and egg. This is why we voluntarily chose to update our packaging to include this allergen information."

Basically they say that they will disclose the shared equipment products. Since they disclose it on some products, such as the cereal and not the bunnies, it sounds like they are not on shared equipment. You can always call and ask them or buy one box to start with and see what it says.

Pretzels are a choking hazard? President Bush aside, I don't think I've ever seen that on a list of choking hazards. They aren't any different than crackers or goldfish, IMO. Get sticks if you are really concerned. Raisins are a whole different story.
    Yes, I contacted Annies just to double check and they personally confirmed what their website says. If it doesn't have a made in a facility with peanuts/nuts statement, then it's not. Not every company voluntarily prints made in facility statements, but this one does (As do Keebler and General Mills). Also, PP is correct that most of the bunnies contain milk. We avoided them until DS outgrew his milk allergy. Now we love them.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast