Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question Recommend a nut-free, HFCS-free, food-dye-free toddler-class snack...

At church, all snacks have to be on the nut-free, not on shared equipment list. If it's not on their current list, I can probably get it approved if the nut-free part is clearly evident/labeled/published in FA stuff.

I personally try to avoid HFCS for DC, so I usually bring Goldfish since it's approved and non-HFCS. But, we have really been noticing food dye issues with DS2. He is acting insane tonight, and the only new food is a string cheese...that has annatto color.

I'm thinking if I can find a decent snack, I will provide a large wholesale amount, so think reasonably economical, here. From the already approved list, Teddy Grahams seem the least offensive.

Thoughts? You mamas have much more experience with this stuff! FWIW, no WF or TJs around here...but I am hoping to travel to a TJ-area in the next 2 mos.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do they have to be sealed individually? Or served in the next few day? Fruit is a possibility, like clementines. Or, they sell presliced apples in individual bags.

I usually buy Annie's brand Cheddar bunnies, wheat bunnies or graham bunnies instead of Teddy Grahams because the ingredient list is better.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Do they have to be sealed individually? Or served in the next few day? Fruit is a possibility, like clementines. Or, they sell presliced apples in individual bags.

I usually buy Annie's brand Cheddar bunnies, wheat bunnies or graham bunnies instead of Teddy Grahams because the ingredient list is better.

Beth
    Sealed, no.
    The snack is a stock-up, no-mess snack...graham crackers, vanilla wafers, etc. Fruit sounds great, but I don't think the teacher would go for it with the mess part. I'm already being difficult here.
    I'm considering Annie's; they aren't on the approved nut-free list. I don't have any in-house and a quick glance at the website didn't include info under the bunnies. Are they sold cheaper in bulk anywhere?

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I second the fruit idea. Bananas? Grapes? Clementines?
    If it needs to be packaged, how about applesauce (no sugar added)--would need to double check the nut-free, I guess.
    Cheese (string or otherwise, sometimes we like the little baby goudas in wax packages) could also work
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Fruit leather is a great option (though more $$)

If you can access a Trader Joe's, they sell plastic buckets of 'cat cookies' that meet your requirements and are a big hit with preschoolers.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Check out Enjoy Life brand - they have sunbutter crunch bars and a chocolatey bar too. It will be pricey though but they are free of the top 8 allergens and not made on shared equipment.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    Fruit leather is a great option (though more $$)

If you can access a Trader Joe's, they sell plastic buckets of 'cat cookies' that meet your requirements and are a big hit with preschoolers.
    Are the cat cookies not made on shared equip? I haven't seen many treats at TJ's not made on shared equip. I guess I stopped checking, but if there's something safe, I should check it out.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Annies bunnies are not made on equip shared with nuts/peanuts. I wanted to bring some to DS's class, but they weren't on the list. I decided get something else, just b/c I didn't want other parents to bring in new items, KWIM? DS has a peanut allergy and I give them to him.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Annies bunnies are not made on equip shared with nuts/peanuts. I wanted to bring some to DS's class, but they weren't on the list. I decided get something else, just b/c I didn't want other parents to bring in new items, KWIM? DS has a peanut allergy and I give them to him.
    Is this detailed on the box? It doesn't seem to be on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by srhs View Post
    Is this detailed on the box? It doesn't seem to be on the site.
    On the box, it says, contains wheat, soy, milk, IIRC.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast