Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade yogurt

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Homemade yogurt

Was mulling over WS yogurt maker but after reading a bit here and I thinking I may not need this machine. I want all the good bacteria but not all the other junk..of course.
    If anyone has a fail safe recipe for home made yogurt would you mind sharing it please? We buy a ton of yogurt.
    Thanks all!

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No experience making yogurt, but I eat tons of it as well. Are you a Costco member? They have huge containers (64 ounces) of Mountain High plain yogurt for $4 and it's seriously the best yogurt I've eaten. Love it...just thought I'd throw that out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomom1121 View Post
    No experience making yogurt, but I eat tons of it as well. Are you a Costco member? They have huge containers (64 ounces) of Mountain High plain yogurt for $4 and it's seriously the best yogurt I've eaten. Love it...just thought I'd throw that out there!
    I am. I just read up on this yogurt and it looks like a great option. DH won't eat plain so I would have to look into adding some fruit I think. Thanks much!

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We tried making yogurt a couple times and I had trouble finding a place in our house that was warm enough but not too hot (I think it's gotta be about 110 degrees but don't quote me on that!). I'm sorry I can't find the recipe we used... but since it didn't work so well I can't say I'd recommend it! Anyway, after a couple of failed tries, I broke down and got the WS yogurt maker. It works quite well, but I'll admit I don't use it very often... it's easier to just buy yogurt, even though we go through a lot of it.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    I am. I just read up on this yogurt and it looks like a great option. DH won't eat plain so I would have to look into adding some fruit I think. Thanks much!
    I tried a sample at Costco of it and they put a scoop and then a scoop of jelly on it...delicious! (I never thought I'd eat plain but this one has a really different flavor) They quit carrying it for a while at mine and I requested it every single time I went and luckily we got it back!! I've successfully subbed it in recipes for mayo and sour cream too (about half and half). I've even mixed peanut butter in and it's yummy. Hope you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr C View Post
    We tried making yogurt a couple times and I had trouble finding a place in our house that was warm enough but not too hot (I think it's gotta be about 110 degrees but don't quote me on that!).
    This is why I was thinking of getting the machine. I don't want to get anyone sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomom1121 View Post
    I tried a sample at Costco of it and they put a scoop and then a scoop of jelly on it...delicious! (I never thought I'd eat plain but this one has a really different flavor) They quit carrying it for a while at mine and I requested it every single time I went and luckily we got it back!! I've successfully subbed it in recipes for mayo and sour cream too (about half and half). I've even mixed peanut butter in and it's yummy. Hope you like it.
    Peanut butter is a great idea. DH loves that. I have some wonderful organic jelly as home, too. Hope my Costco has it to try.

I got the WS one for xmas, and I love it!

We also like Mountain High yogurt.

My DD likes a little honey or jelly mixed in with plain yogurt.

My DS likes maple syrup mixed in with plain yogurt.

Our new one this week is adding maple syrup to plain yogurt & then adding some pomegranate juice to make "pink yogurt".

I've got to try the peanut butter idea ~ yum!

Best,
    Jill
    DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm going to have to put Mountain High yogurt on my Costco shopping list!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by jillc View Post
    I got the WS one for xmas, and I love it!

We also like Mountain High yogurt.

My DD likes a little honey or jelly mixed in with plain yogurt.

My DS likes maple syrup mixed in with plain yogurt.

Our new one this week is adding maple syrup to plain yogurt & then adding some pomegranate juice to make "pink yogurt".

I've got to try the peanut butter idea ~ yum!

Best,
    Jill
    Now I need to try honey...sounds yummy! I'm so glad people are going to buy it...I'm paranoid they'll stop carrying it again. DH was on a plain yogurt hunt for me when they quit and NOTHING was as good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast