nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Chicken spaghetti without condensed soup?

I was drooling over the Pioneer Woman's chicken spaghetti recipe someone posted a few days ago, but I am really trying to get away from processed stuff. Does anyone have a recipe for chicken spaghetti without the cream of mushroom/chicken soup?
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

why don't you make homemade cream of chicken soup. Here is a recipe for one..

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/...cken-soup.html

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I basically use this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-S...se/Detail.aspx, but do it in the microwave in a glass bowl. I melt the butter, then add flour. Heat that for about 60 sec. Add half the milk and stir and heat for 1 min. Add more milk, stir and another 1 min. Add the final milk, stir and heat in 1 min increments - stirring in between and when it's thick it's done.

Oh, I don't use the bouillon cubes, I use chicken granules instead.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by traciann View Post
    why don't you make homemade cream of chicken soup. Here is a recipe for one..

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/...cken-soup.html
    That doesn't look too bad. Have you made it? I just wonder if it comes out more like "prepared" soup or the condensed thick stuff. Reading it, I guess I can cook it down to the thicker consistency.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, thanks for posting this. I see lots of recipes that sound good, but using condensed cream of whatever soup just doesn't do it for me. (I know, I'm weird.) Now there are some options!

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I must have been under a rock..I had no idea cream of mushroom soup has MSG in it.

I think it is virtually impossible to find mainstream canned soups without MSG. It also is disguised under a bunch of different ingredient names - so even organic varieties often include stuff that is really MSG under another name.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yeah, I made it this week and it was the first time I'd bought cream of whatever soup in years. Actually, we don't buy much canned soup anymore for the same reason. I'm glad to see these alternatives posted here. I didn't think about making that part of the recipe from scratch but certainly will in the future. No bullion here either, and I'm picky about what chicken/beef stock I use - we try to have homemade on hand.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs