KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default What kind of fruit to bring?

We are going to a relative's house for bunch on Sunday and are brining fruit to go with their menu. The menu is: "big apple" pancake (maybe two) and having granola, yogurt and fruit.

I don't know what "big apple" pancake is and we aren't granola people and buy yogurt with fruit already in it .

So, can I bring strawberries, raspberries and bananas? Or something else for the granola? Do I cut it and mix it or just clean it and bring them separate?

These relatives are generally "fancier" than we are and I want to get it right .

I had figured we couldn't go wrong with going for brunch instead of dinner, but I'm not completely sure my kids are going to eat any of the menu .
    Kris

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It sounds weird, but my fave fruit with yogurt and granola is large (peeled) navel oranges, sectioned and cut in half (quarters for kids). OMG, love that. I use vanilla yogurt.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    It sounds weird, but my fave fruit with yogurt and granola is large (peeled) navel oranges, sectioned and cut in half (quarters for kids). OMG, love that. I use vanilla yogurt.
    That sounds like a Creamsicle but less artificial.

On topic, I'd bring a cut fruit tray instead of killing myself over a bunch of berries and stuff separately ... the cost would work out to be about the same.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Its a German thing, apparently. DH came home with it from one of his trips to visit his family over there. I thought it sounded icky, but loved it!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think bringing berries and bananas are fine, although I wouldn't mix the bananas with the berries, I find the banana flavor over takes the other fruit and if you don't like banana...

I second the berries and some of them shouldn't be to much work. Like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. It's pretty much wash and go.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I had figured we couldn't go wrong with going for brunch instead of dinner, but I'm not completely sure my kids are going to eat any of the menu
    Do your kids eat pancakes? If so, I wouldn't worry. By "big apple pancake" I suspect they mean one giant pancake that's cooked in the oven. They're often called German or Dutch apple pancakes and they are ohhh so yummy. They rise more than regular pancakes so the taste is similar but they're puffier -- sort of a cross between a pancake and a cake. And the apples usually carmelize while baking....yum!

As for the fruit, I think the berries arranged on a pretty platter would be just fine!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ciw View Post
    Do your kids eat pancakes? If so, I wouldn't worry. By "big apple pancake" I suspect they mean one giant pancake that's cooked in the oven. They're often called German or Dutch apple pancakes and they are ohhh so yummy. They rise more than regular pancakes so the taste is similar but they're puffier -- sort of a cross between a pancake and a cake. And the apples usually carmelize while baking....yum!

As for the fruit, I think the berries arranged on a pretty platter would be just fine!
    I hope they'll eat it. sounds good! I think the boys will, but DD is a bit particular and likes her pancakes to be about 1.5" in diameter . But, cake is good .

Everyone - Thanks for okaying the fruit! I'll do berries and bananas, since I expect DD will be a bit put off by the offering there, but will eat bananas and strawberries.
    Kris