TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default crock pot question

Can I take a cold stoneware insert (from the refridgerator) and place it right into the crock put heathing element and turn it on? Will the stoneware crack because it is cold? I need to prepare things the night before.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Out of the fridge cold? Id probably run it under hot water in that case. Room temp? No problem.

Beth

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's what I thought. Is it okay of the food is cold but not the crock (ie, I prepare the food in a separate bowl and refrigerate that, and then add to a room temp crock)?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

It is not recommended by the manufacturers.

That said, I always prep my food the night before in the crock and stick it in the fridge. As soon as I get up, I take the full/prepared crock and place on the counter. By the time we are ready to head out the door (1 hr. later) the outside of the crock is room temp and I set it and go. I've not had a problem with this.

My last crockpot, I did not know about this and set it from the fridge into the cooker straight away at least 1-2x/week. The heating element broke after less than a year. I feel certain that they were related.

I do that almost everytime I use it although I know it's not recommended. I figure by the time it heats up on low, it's been to room temp a while. You could also prep and throw evereything in in a big bowl in the fridge and then dump the bowl in the pot in the am.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    That's what I thought. Is it okay of the food is cold but not the crock (ie, I prepare the food in a separate bowl and refrigerate that, and then add to a room temp crock)?
    Yes, it's perfectly fine if the food is cold but the crock is room temp.

Personally, I'd use a baggie and not a bowl, but that's only because I'd be trying to save on dishes & space in my fridge!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle