Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default nursing at church?

ok so today we went to church for the first time with DS (now 4 weeks old). anyway i fed him right before leaving the house so that he would be less likely to be hungry (during the day, he typically goes for 2-3 hours between feedings). but in the middle of Mass he started fussing and when i went to hold him he wouldn't stop trying to grab onto my boob (lol) so it was obvious he was hungry. anyway, we were already in the crying room (where lots of other couples were with babies, kids etc) and i had brought my nursing cover in my diaper bag, but i wasn't sure what to do at first, since my DH was too embarrassed for me to breastfeed there in front of everyone. actually my DH was all ready to call it quits and just go home when i remembered that in the women's restroom there was an armchair near the sinks. So i went in there with my nursing cover and DS and fed him (thank god i had worn a nursing top & bra). anyway it wasnt that bad but it was somewhat uncomfortable since i had no pillow to use and i was all by myself so it was hard to get situated at first. plus, it seems weird to feed my son in the bathroom..

anyway, dh then started thinking that next time we go to church we either have to bring a bottle of pumped milk or just wait until he's older and can go for much longer between feedings, to reduce the risk of him getting hungry. i guess he's just worried that other people (esp men) would get uncomfortable seeing me nurse him. however, i seemed to think it should be ok for me to feed him in the crying room if he's hungry..after all, with the nursing cover no one can really see anything. the only thing is that it's a little loud (my DS makes loud squeaking/swallowing sounds) so it would be obvious what i was doing, but then again, it is a crying room so there will be crying babies in there anyways!

also, i wasn't sure if the catholic church had any policy re: breastfeeding during mass (anybody know?).and regardless of any set rules, i can see how a lot of older and/or more conservative people may be offended by seeing someone breastfeed right in front of them at a place of worship, since with the squeaking noise and all it can be somewhat distracting. however if i use a nursing cover and go the crying room to feed him, it seems like it should be ok, right? after all i'm just feeding my son and i'd rather not have to take him to the restroom to eat....

anyway, i'd appreciate any thoughts/comments/advice..

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would be totally fine nursing in the crying room with a cover. It's for kids/babies, right? I don't think you should limit your church activites b/c your nursing. IMO, nursing is so much easier than bringing a bottle of pumped milk, but do whatever makes you most comfortable.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Jack would never leave a cover on. I bf'd him in our nursery ( guess you call it a crying room) its for non walkers a dutch door separates the walkers.

Remember Jesus was a breast fed baby! I wish men would get off the though of breasts are sexual objects they are for feeding our babies. I was always extra careful esp at church not to flash a boob LOL

DO what you are comfortable with never mind your DH he will get used to it.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Have you asked around to see if there is a nursing room? Our (not Catholic) church has a nursing room with gliders, changing tables, boppies, diaper thing, and supplies. Ask around...you never know!

Our nursing room USED to be the minister's office, lol, until the new wing was built. As annoying as it was to miss the sermon or part of the service every week b/c of a hungry baby, I think there is real value in trying to get the family to church and using that room. I know most of the moms in the 4 and under crowd because I've met them in the nursing room in '06, '07-08, and '10. I gues you'd call me a frequent visitor over the years. I think a LOT of ministry happens in that time with all the new moms. Surely there are other new moms in your church. What are they doing?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I hope you can get your dh more supportive of the nursing in public. You'll start to be really limited if you get pressure not to NIP. The hassle of pumping just to feed when out seems like too much for me but I know some people do it. i don't know. One of the best things about nursing was being able to do it wherever and whenever needed, kwim? No one should be offended by a baby needing to be fed and bf'ing is a legitimate choice that people shouldn't frown upon.

I nursed in a Catholic church last year (I am a very lapsed Catholic). No issues there.

Practice w/o the cover being discreet and no one needs to even know you are nursing. Baby could just be resting in your arms.

Beth

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have nursed in all sorts of wild and wacky places, including at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. I use a cover and no one even notices. In fact, at the Western Wall, I think I inadvertently got into some Bar Mitzvah photos, LOL.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

I think God and everyone would be okay with your BFing in a house of worship. If you have a nursing cover, (and even if you don't, but have the right arrangement of clothing), it's really no big deal. Way easier to BF than to pump milk, get engorged, etc.

You're in for a very difficult BFing experience if you never NIP. I was never wild about it, to be honest, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do. If anyone's uncomfortable watching you nurse, then they shouldn't be watching.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I second what the other ladies are saying about NIP. I remember being very self conscious about it at first, but remember my LLL said that your chances of being able to nurse longer term are dependent on your ability to NIP (or never go anywhere). I used to bring formula or pumped milk at first, but having to deal with engorgement, pumping before and after outing, baby crying b/c the bottle is cold and no where to warm it up, baby not taking bottle, etc.--found it was soooo much easier to just nurse. Since then, I've nursed in crowded airports, on the airplane sitting next to a stranger (who was male), and numerous other places...
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    I think God and everyone would be okay with your BFing in a house of worship. If you have a nursing cover, (and even if you don't, but have the right arrangement of clothing), it's really no big deal. Way easier to BF than to pump milk, get engorged, etc.

You're in for a very difficult BFing experience if you never NIP. I was never wild about it, to be honest, but sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do. If anyone's uncomfortable watching you nurse, then they shouldn't be watching.

I used a cover while at church and only then. Otherwise, I just NIP and people can deal (really, you can't tell). I'm not sure I understand the noise aspect, but maybe I just had quiet nursers?

ITA with Ry, if you don't get used to NIP, it will be very hard to BF. JMHO. FWIW, neither of my girls took bottles, so unless you know that your baby will, in fact, take a bottle, I wouldn't count on that. And, no, not all babies will take bottles, even if they are starving.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I forgot all about the engorgement and leaking that could happen if you skip a feeding while out. No fun.

I really didn't like NIP but then my dh got sick when ds1 was 4mo and I wound up having to nurse ds all over the place. We were at countless appointments and day long procedures. I had to get over it and it really wasn't so bad. I remember the first time without my Boppy; I thought I couldn't do it!

It'll work out.

Beth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast