Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My DH is 6'3" and about 190. I definitely had to help him get into the Ergo the first few times he used it, but he can now do it on his own and loves it! I think it just takes some getting used to.

ncdel is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

I told him a whole bunch of ppl responded that their husbands were able to use it and his response was "I can't use it. My shoulders are too inflexible." I don't think he's too open to it. I got a hand me down bjorn, maybe he'll try that although I hate that we have 2 ergos & he refuses to use it. I think he'd be way too nervous to swing the babies onto his back, not to mention it looks like you need some shoulder flexibility to do that too.

Today I watched the video to see if the hip carry would work & was already lost after about 30 seconds> She takes the chest straps off completely - I have no idea how she does this, as mine are completely sewn onto the shoulder straps. Then when I tried to put my 6 month old in it, the shoulder strap in front was way too high, it didn't tuck under her armpit like the kid in the video and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to tighten the strap that was over my shoulder. I didn't think this would be so difficult...

ncdel is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

OK just tried the back carry, both mount & hip load & I can't do either (only 5'0 and very flexible shoulders) & my daughter cried the whole time I was attempting it, so there is no hope of MH doing htem either. Ugh. I am not sure if my 6 month old LO is too small still though? Is there a height/weight suggested? She is about 16 lbs, I don't know length right now. I was afraid I'd drop her on the regular mount one and could not figure out how to get those straps on with the hip mount, I kept trying to mirror the video but really couldn't get it.

It sounds like he's not too open to it, but here's a tip for getting the back carry going in that style of carrier. Get the baby all fastened in and sit them (upright, seated position) on the couch, or a chair. Of course this works best if your child can actually sit, but I believe the back carry isn't allowed until they're at that point or later (we got ours when DS was a year.) Check your manual for age/weight minimums for the back carry.

Sit on the floor in front of them, and slide them forward by the carrier's shoulder straps so you can wiggle your arms in, then fasten the clips. Takes a little of the fright out of swinging the child up - especially in a carrier like the Ergo that doesn't have a piece of material between the child and wearer.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncdel View Post
    OK just tried the back carry, both mount & hip load & I can't do either (only 5'0 and very flexible shoulders) & my daughter cried the whole time I was attempting it, so there is no hope of MH doing htem either. Ugh. I am not sure if my 6 month old LO is too small still though? Is there a height/weight suggested? She is about 16 lbs, I don't know length right now. I was afraid I'd drop her on the regular mount one and could not figure out how to get those straps on with the hip mount, I kept trying to mirror the video but really couldn't get it.
    Do you have a baby specialty store by you that sells Ergos? If I can have someone actually "show" me how to use a baby carrier rather than watching a video, it is much easier. If the SA hadn't helped me put the Ergo on as the back carry, I don't know it I would have been able to do it either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2