Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Alternatives to Swing Sets

My mom really wants to buy a swing set for the backyard. While I like the idea of having a nice swing set for the kids to play on instead of going to the park all the time (with a new baby and having to use an at-the-breast supplementer, being at home sounds great), I have a few concerns. For one, 6 feet of surfacing all around the set sounds like a real lot. I like that we have big open spaces in our yard, and don't want it all taken up by the swing set.

I think it might be more fun to have a bunch of varied activities in the yard rather than the swing set, so I'm hoping you guys might have some other ways of making our yard super cool to play in. We have a sand box, water table, big above ground pool, and several swings hanging from our huge maple tree. I've always thought it would be really cool to build our own playhouse (though we have a plastic one on the deck) when the boys were old enough to help and get something out of it, but I don't know if 6 and 4 is still too young. I also saw a picture someone posted a week or two ago of a little play area surrounded by big stumps, and that was really cool.

Then there are the natural playhouses like this: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/home-...r-digs-710598/ - but I think it will look weird in the month or two it takes to grow.

I guess.. I'm just more interested in having a less structured backyard, where they have the raw materials for doing whatever they want.

After all that rambling.. does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to a swing set?

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What you have sounds lovely. When you take the kids to the park- what do they play on that you don't already have? Slide? Balance beam? Monkeybars?

How about a garden?

http://www.naturalplaygrounds.com/

http://thelittletravelers.typepad.co...tructures.html

http://ourdayourjourney.blogspot.com...aygrounds.html

http://ourdayourjourney.blogspot.com...ments-for.html

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was the one who posted about the logs.

The links above are great.

We also have a homemade balance beam that is a big hit.

This year we are building a vine playhouse, based on Angelina's post form above. Also we are planting some giant sunflowers in a pattern for hiding inside.

How about a butterfly garden?
    Mom to Arwen (1/06), and two geriatric chihuahuas

Those links are awesome, thanks! I just warned my husband that I'll have a lot of projects for him this spring.

I think a butterfly garden is a great idea.. I looked up some stuff online but got totally overwhelmed. Maybe if I just go to my nursery this spring they'll be able to help me pick out what plants I'll need?

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post

I think a butterfly garden is a great idea.. I looked up some stuff online but got totally overwhelmed. Maybe if I just go to my nursery this spring they'll be able to help me pick out what plants I'll need?
    And try your local extension office. I got a pamphlet from ours with the types of butterflies, their nectar plants and the caterpillar host plants for my area.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Great links!

One book I liked for kids' gardens is Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots. I can't remember the author, but she has another book also - Sunflower Houses, maybe? I liked Roots, Shoots better, but both are nice.

We tried a few gardens last year with varying success, but we had some veggies, some sunflowers, a colorful flower bed (was going to a be a rainbow garden, but ended up just letting the girls pick pretty colors), and a nice herb/sensory garden. The herb/sensory garden was our biggest success - lots of smelly herbs (chocolate mint, lemon thyme and lemon verbena, scented geraniums, rosemary, basil, parsley, soft lamb's ear, and some others).

This year I want to try a fairy garden and maybe a moon/night garden.

If you have a local/organic nursery they should be able to help. Your local extension office mentioned above is also a great resource.

I am definitely going to add some of these other suggestions! Love the stumps and the balance beam!

Thanks for the links and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    Great links!

One book I liked for kids' gardens is Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots. I can't remember the author, but she has another book also - Sunflower Houses, maybe? I liked Roots, Shoots better, but both are nice.

We tried a few gardens last year with varying success, but we had some veggies, some sunflowers, a colorful flower bed (was going to a be a rainbow garden, but ended up just letting the girls pick pretty colors), and a nice herb/sensory garden. The herb/sensory garden was our biggest success - lots of smelly herbs (chocolate mint, lemon thyme and lemon verbena, scented geraniums, rosemary, basil, parsley, soft lamb's ear, and some others).

This year I want to try a fairy garden and maybe a moon/night garden.

If you have a local/organic nursery they should be able to help. Your local extension office mentioned above is also a great resource.

I am definitely going to add some of these other suggestions! Love the stumps and the balance beam!

Thanks for the links and ideas!

Sharon Lovejoy wrote the books you mention above. Her new book Toad Cottages and Shooting Stars: Grandma's Bag of Tricks is great too, despite that it is written for grandma's connecting with their grandchildren. DH was making fun of me for reading it until I showed him the owl eye chart. Now I have seen him pick it up and flip through it too.

We did her sun and moon garden last year--sunflowers and moonflowers . I twas huge hit. We are expanding our night blooming flowers this year. Plus DD has suggested a faery/gnome area.

Also mimosa plants are fun ---if you touch them they curl up and reopen a few minutes later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_pudica

eta- I have had this book out from the library before too--definite eye candy!

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Garden-...6426586&sr=8-1
    Last edited by kayte; 02-17-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks for the book suggestions! I'll request them from our library.

I've been looking into living willow structures. I love the idea of the sunflower hut and whatnot, but worry about the awkward growing stages. I think something a little more permanent would be a better idea for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post

I've been looking into living willow structures.
    I would love one here---but from what I have read it is too hot and dry in the summer. MA would be great though! If you do it, will you post pictures so we can live vicariously through you!!!

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

n/m found it!
    Last edited by fivi2; 02-17-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast