Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unhappy breastmilk stains..help!

so today after getting the laundry out i noticed that two of my light-colored nursing tanks have several breastmilk stains, even after being washed. now i didn't put Shout or other stain removers on them before washing, since someone told me that breastmilk doesn't stain clothing (a total lie, it stains just like regular milk does.)

anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas/tips on what i can do...first, is there any way to remove the stains at this point? (one of my tanks, a bravado one, is white, so i guess i could bleach it, but the other one is light blue so i don't know if bleaching is an option). also, any other tips to prevent staining in the first place? don't know that using shout spray and immediately washing it is even practical, as i'd probably have to go thru 2-3 tanks per day if that were the case. i do wear breastpads but still manage to spill some somehow, esp while pumping (i have so much milk it practically shoots out, lol). thing is i practically live in nursing tanks and am starting to be able to get out of the house more and i feel like the biggest slob wearing stained clothing, even if it's just been washed. DH sez that's just par for the course abt being a mom, but i don't know...i feel bad that i paid $35 for some of these tanks (which are really nice btw) only to have them permanently soiled so quickly.

soak in hot water with oxyclean well mixed in. does the trick for me. rinse a couple times before drying.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sunning works for breastmilk poop stains; I wonder if it would work for just breastmilk stains?

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=677410

I use Bac-Out and/or Baby Oxy Clean on all our stuff and it works really well.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

saleenl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have this all the time, on my clothing and the kids'. Even if clothing has been washed and dried, I find that treating protein stains with Ecover stain remover and then rewashing it works every time. Often, I don't notice the protein stain or can't find it before washing and it only shows after washing. This is what I use: http://www.ecover.com/us/en/Products...StaRemover.htm

I used to use the oxyclean method but it was more effort than the stain remover. Also, sometimes it would fade my clothing badly and the Ecover hasn't damaged or faded any fabrics in the past 9 months.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Apply Shout to the stain, add Oxiclean to the wash.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I treat breastmilk stains the same way I treat mysterious oil spots on laundry. A little bit of Dawn dish detergent rubbed in well.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

I never see them until after they've been washed and dried (and usually its on the cheaper cotton tshirts that I have) so just rub a little Dawn into them and they're fine the next wash.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dawn works for me 99% of the time.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You could soak them in hot and use oxyclean. I found that if I got leaks, I took the shirt off as soon as I could, ran it under some water, and sprayed it w/shout. Then, just washed next time I was doing a load. That kept most of the stains from setting.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I use dish detergent too, but like someone else said, I never notice the stain until I put a clean shirt on and then I have to set it aside and treat it.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast