liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Fit difference between Ergo and Beco

So, the day after I borrowed a Beco Butterfly 2 from my local baby wearers' group, I discovered that I won a somewhat low-cost Ergo on Ebay. I forgot I had even bid on it and I won! Now that I've worn both back to back, I'm a little confused. I really thought the Ergo would fit me much better since I have a long torso. The waist strap for the Ergo is sort of tight and I have it extended as long as possible. I have much more room on the Beco. The body of the Beco also "feels" longer when I'm carrying the baby on my back.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm not really concerned; I just hope that my DS doesn't outgrow the Ergo in the next year.

The ERGO definitely has a shorter body than the Beco. Some people do find this a problem, especially if they have a child who's a "leaner." Your baby shouldn't outgrow the carrier though. I carried both my kids in mine until they were 5!

I haven't heard that ERGOs were particularly better for people with longer torsos. I find the fit of both carriers a bit mysterious and I do this for a living! I have noticed that petite and narrow-shouldered mamas often prefer the Beco, but there are some who prefer the ERGO. IMO, the fit is a very personal thing and hard to predict in advance. Although in truth, most people find both to be comfortable!
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn't get into baby wearing until my DD was over a year old and being back carried. I tried both and found that the Ergo was harder to adjust her in than the Beco was. I also have a bad back (at times) and I found that the Beco was much more comfy than the Ergo was.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks! I can easily see myself preferring one over the other at different times depending on the baby's size.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Alright, now I'm curious about the Beco... just wanted to say that my daughter fit in the Ergo until she was four and booted out of it by the arrival of a younger sibling . Not sure how old your DS is, but it definitely works well with a preschooler.

DS is only 5 months old, but he is big--20lbs. He fits just fine in both the Ergo and Beco, but the Ergo is shorter (on him) which is why I wondered if he would be too tall for it in a year or so. I'm really glad to hear that's not likely.

I like the Beco, but I find it easier to get the Ergo on and off faster. The Beco has a second piece of fabric (not the infant insert) that is positioned between the parent and child and that must be clipped in place. If I could combine the long body and larger waist of the Beco with the comfy shoulders and ease of use of the Ergo, I'd have the perfect SSC for me!