09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Radian 65SL vs Roundabout50 for travel

We have now purchased a Roundabout50, Marathon and need one more carseat for nanny's car. I was thinking the 65SL so that we can take that one out when we need to travel. We fly a few times a year. Is the 65SL that hard to install that it would be a pain to take out when we need to travel or would just getting a go go kidz and taking the RA50 be a better idea?

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 09Mom View Post
    We have now purchased a Roundabout50, Marathon and need one more carseat for nanny's car. I was thinking the 65SL so that we can take that one out when we need to travel. We fly a few times a year. Is the 65SL that hard to install that it would be a pain to take out when we need to travel or would just getting a go go kidz and taking the RA50 be a better idea?
    How old is your kiddo? Is he/she RFing or FFing?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't own the Radian seat, but it's not the most easy seat to install, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. It's also not compatable with all cars like a Marathon or RA 50 might be (unless you are looking at a smaller compact car). I would give either the RA 50 or the Marathon to the nanny and keep the Radian for use in your cars.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Radians are heavy but narrow. You could fold it, get the SK straps and carry it like a backpack. They are pretty easy to install FFing, so I would imagine it would be easy to install on a plane given their low and narrow profile. I would not plan on using it rearfacing on a plane. I would also keep the Radian for the primary car and move the Roundabout to the nanny's car.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DD is 13 months and about 18lbs so we plan on RFing for a while. She is not in the nanny's car much so we were thinking the Radian would be the least comfortable and that's why we selected Radian for nanny's car.

We were going to put MA in DH's car. We thought this was the most comfortable seat and that is the car she rides in the most. None of our seats have real headwings but I wanted the most protection/support to not roll for her head when she sleeps in the car.
    RA50 in my car. My car is a 99 BMW 3 series with no latch. We have the car installed in the middle seat there.
    Nanny's car is 99 Buick. We do a nanny share so she also has a booster in the back. No latch in her car either.

I am open to suggestions if there is a better way to dole out the seats.

She is a baby still, so I would fly with the Roundabout if you want to rear face on the plane. We have a Radian XTSL as our primary car seat (it replaced a Boulevard). DS2 is super comfy in it. He did not complain when we parted with the Boulevard and put him in the Radian.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009