Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how quickly does nystatin start to work for a yi?

ds2 has a yeast infection on his weiner. he seems to get them quite often. we change him very frequently. we only wipe when he poops. he is grabbing at his diaper constantly. poor thing.

how quickly will the nystatin ointment kick in to relieve the discomfort? what else can we do for him? how can we better prevent these in the future? will probiotics help for this ( i am thinking of acidophilus for women, ykwim?)

tia for all advice. although we've had several infections, i feel like a novice.
    neeley

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn't find nystatin particularly effective for yeast. Did you try generic lotrimin first? Also, after you put on the medication (whichever you end up using), put some triple paste on a gauze square and cover the area with the gauze. Otherwise the medication can just wipe off on the diaper right away and take longer to work.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It worked really, really fast for us. But, I agree, Triple Paste + it is even better.

Beth

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    I didn't find nystatin particularly effective for yeast. Did you try generic lotrimin first? Also, after you put on the medication (whichever you end up using), put some triple paste on a gauze square and cover the area with the gauze. Otherwise the medication can just wipe off on the diaper right away and take longer to work.
    I thought Nystatin was only 40% effective for thrush at least. I thought the first line of defense was lotrimin (lotrimin AT I think is the best). I would seriously consider probiotics as well as reducing the "sugars" in his diet (white flours, etc.). When we had thrush, I tried to stay away from most sugars. I wonder if you could put a little vinegar in his bath? Wash his underwear in hot and put some vinegar or grapefruit SEED extract in.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I used miconazole ( generic monistat) anytime my boys developed a yeasty rash on their penis/ genital area. cleared it up in about 2 days.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nystatin did nothing for my DS's thrush. I would use generic lotrimin or monistat.

Probiotics will absolutely be helpful for keeping his flora balanced and help to prevent yeast infections. You can also make a little paste with the powder and water and apply to his penis if you like.

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i have heard that whipping with a little vinegar helps. when i had a yeast on my breast while breast feeding it seemed to help. i dont think it can hurt.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chozen View Post
    i have heard that whipping with a little vinegar helps. when i had a yeast on my breast while breast feeding it seemed to help. i dont think it can hurt.
    I did this too, but diluted the vinegar. I think it was 2 Tbs to 8 oz? You can also put a little in his bath.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

you guys are great. i wish i checked back to the thread before bed this eve. today was super busy. lotrimin is next. i think i have some, it came with the monistat 1 pack, it's a cream for "external vaginal itch". still seems to be a little red, but it's better. thanks again.
    neeley

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post

Probiotics will absolutely be helpful for keeping his flora balanced and help to prevent yeast infections..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast