MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Toilet trainer seat

I think this is really 2 questions....I have never PT'da kid before. DD is 22 mos old and is very interested in sitting on the potty. Sometimes, she will sit on the Bjorn potty we have set up in the bathroom, particularly when I am in the bathroom (LOL!). This week she has started trying to climb onto the regular toilet, usually with the lid down, fortunately. Last night I got out her step stool and let her sit on the regular toilet (with my help so that she did not fall in). At daycare, they have mini-toilets (real ones) in the bathroom adjacent to the classrooms, and sometimes they practice sitting on them.

My first question is this, do we need to start with the small potty seat, or has anyone trained from scratch with the regular toilet and one of the inserts to make the hole smaller? DD just seems more interested in the real thing.

Next question, is the Bjorn trainer a good one? Got good reviews on Amazon....or is there another you would recommend?? Thanks....
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

DS didn't want much to do with the kids potty seat--he went straight to the real potty. He didn't much like the inserts either... now we had the cheap Dora ones, and not the nice Bjorn one so that might make a difference... but they were unstable and after one unfortunate incident when DS almost fell in we just chucked them. We had excellent luck just having him sit backwards on the regular potty seat--much more stable than sitting frontwards. For little girls, this position is especially good because it teaches them to pee with legs apart, preventing urine from pooling up in the vagina which can lead to irritation or occasionally UTI's. Yeah, I know this position leaves their feet dangling, but it never seemed to bother DS. He definitely preferred the backwards position to sitting on the insert with his feet on a stool, even when pooping.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

wehave the bjorn trainer and it is easy to use , but now im wondering if it would be smarter to buy reg. toilet seat that also has a child size one . someone posted about them one time i think they said you can get them from home depot. bjorn is nice but foor us its another pc. laying around

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the Bijorn kid potty and a cheap BRU Sesame Street insert. DD seems to prefer the Bijorn potty (the large one). We also have the small one and a couple of no-name cheapies that are also little. It is hard for her to sit down on the small ones by herself. We have the little Bijorn in the car for travel.

The potty insert is great for taking places, too. The one thing I don't like about it is that is can be unstable like the PP said. It can slip if DD moves around too much on it. ITA it would be worth it to have one of those seats that is attached to the potty.

Good luck with the PT, it took us forever but DD is finally dry during the day. YAY!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Eh, we have the Bjorn potty insert thing and it worked just fine but I probably wouldn't buy it again. DD only used it for a very short time and then suddenly wanted to use the regular toilet seat. If I were to break it down, it might have cost $2 per use because she used so few times.
    DD '06
    DD '14

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The Bjorn potty insert was my favorite. DS spent a short time on a small potty, and the bjorn insert, and then went right to using the big toilet with nothing else. I can always use the small potty in the car for emergencies and both the potty and insert for DD, so I'm not too upset about buying either one.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

All three of my kiddos wanted to jump right to the "big potty". I have the insert with the little step up. The little "play toilets" were a huge waste of money for me.
    Rachel
    Mom to 4 1/2 yr old twins & 2 1/2 yr old little one
    Owner of Pebbles Passions
    Owner of Pebbles Jewelry