Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Is Baby Bjorn really that bad?

Not too much into infant goods research, DH purchased Baby Bjorn carrier for our first baby we are expecting. One of the Amazon sellers I guess temporarily mis-priced it and he got it for a steal (something like 20 bucks), so we didn't pay the full price. I guess this is what prompted his choice - the bargain we were able to get on it.

At first I didn't see anything wrong with it, I thought it was a reliable brand widely used and carried in all sorts of baby stores. Until I came to this forum and read that Baby Bjorn puts all the baby's weight on the crotch area and therefore is not recommended. So, does this mean this carrier is not safe and is very uncomfortable for the babies?

I have looked at Ergo and Beco that seem to be in favor on this forum, but they only allow baby to be facing inward and I would prefer my baby to face outward more especially at a later stage. I saw some people carry their babies facing towards their chest, and babies tend to crane their little necks (looked uncomfortable to me..) to look out or to take a breath of air. I would love to get a carrier that allows to carry your baby facing outward as well. I read here that a carrier called Pikkolo does.

I am not a fan of complicated wraps, and I know my husband definitely isn't. I would rather get a structured carrier, so I loved the design of Baby Bjorn. Of course being a new mom and not having experience carrying babies, we might have made a bad choice...

Should we return the carrier (even though we only paid 20 bucks for it) because it's so bad for the baby and get another one, or should we get another one in addition later on?

Is there any thigh support insert that can be used with Baby Bjorn to allow the baby to sit more comfortably in it? Did you have experience with Baby Bjorn classic carrier and did you and your baby hate it?

Thanks!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We had a baby bjorn and later got an ergo. DS didn't seem to be uncomfortable in the baby bjorn. He liked it. It was me who was uncomfortable. I prefered my ergo. But, if you already have it and you got it for such a steal, I wouldn't return it. It worked well when DS was little and didn't weigh much. He did like to face outward, but it was around the time that I started him facing outward (3-4 months) that it started to really hurt my back.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have the Active, and although we liked it for the very beginning, and for a short period with DD, we've used the Ergo a TON more. It's just way more comfortable for us, and the baby will outgrow it pretty quickly comparatively.

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We got ours for free (hand-me-down), but I ended up buying a Beco instead. It was a lot more comfortable for me. Even though DS couldn't face forward, he was still able to look out through the sides and that was enough to let him see the world.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have the BJ Active and loved it for the first couple of months (4-5) - until babies start getting too heavy in it. I switched to an Ergo for DS2 once he was about 4-5 months old.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    We have the BJ Active and loved it for the first couple of months (4-5) - until babies start getting too heavy in it. I switched to an Ergo for DS2 once he was about 4-5 months old.
    And with #2 and 3, I used the ergo from the beginning. It was just cozier for us both. There's something weird about how the Bjorn makes you feel like you're wearing an egg. KWIM?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We used the Bjorn until the time DD was around 4 mos. old and I went back to work. I litterally forgot we had it. We just carried her in the infant seat or put her in the stroller. One thing I didn't like about it was getting it to adjust, I thought it was a pain.

We got a Beco carrier when DD was over 1 yr. old and DH and I used that more. We plan to use the Beco from the beginning with #2.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My suggestion would be that since you have it already, go ahead and use it to see if you (and LO) like babywearing. If you do like babywearing and are comfortable with the Bjorn, that's great. If you're not comfortable with the Bjorn, you can look around here or babywearer.com to research other options. I got a hand-me-down Bjorn and found it very uncomfortable to carry DS for any period of time. FWIW I wound up buying a Moby Wrap (didn't like it...hard to put on, too much fabric, too hot in the desert in the summer) and then moved on to a Pikkolo which I like very much.
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I didn't read all the replies, but I think the Bjorn is worth $20 for your first baby, IMHO. The thing about the Bjorn is that it IS a lot easier to operate than an ergo or pikkolo if you are doing it for the first time. And you can probably recoop at least $20 on CL. I'd keep it and use it the first few months.

When baby gets a little bigger, if you really like baby wearing, you'll know what features are important to you when shopping for another one.

p.s. Just my point-of-view:
    I loved my hotsling for the itty bitty early weeks with DS2.
    I also have a ring sling I never used...too cumbersome.
    The Bjorn Active we used a lot in the early months with DS1 and not at all with DS2.
    Pikkolo that I really like for both of them. It's more comfortable than the Bjorn by far, but it is NOT as easy to get baby in as the Bjorn.

Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

You got a great price, so I think it's worth it right there. The problem I had with mine is that it hurt my back when my babies got bigger. I tend to have some back problems, though. Plus, I have the old version. My sister has a newer one that is better for your back. The babies didn't seem to mind it, especially when they could turn around and face front.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast