Default How to fix badly tangled hair?

My 2.5 DD always has very tangled hair especially when she woke up in the morning. With winter hat, her hair always a mess. We used J&J detangle shampoo for fine hair but it did not seem to help much.

To comb her dry tangled hair, sometimes I just used water to wet her hair but also have detangling spray. With spray, I just felt it was just a little easier.

Is there any good way to take care of tangled very fine hair? Baby oil, nourishing shampoo?

My dd has the same problem. I have found that using a conditioner helps alot with the tangles. I have been using the Suave kids line of shampoo and conditioner. I also use their hair detangler, but since I started using the conditioner I haven't had to use it as much.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

lots of conditioner and don't let the tangles build up. we use a leave in conditioner daily. comb out the tangles as often as possible. i noticed that if i don't bother to comb the girls' hair one day, the next day the tangles will be worse. (be sure that when you comb, you comb small sections at a time and work your way from the bottom up.) also, while they are in the bath, i comb the conditioner thru their hair before rinsing.

luza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    lots of conditioner and don't let the tangles build up. we use a leave in conditioner daily. comb out the tangles as often as possible. i noticed that if i don't bother to comb the girls' hair one day, the next day the tangles will be worse. (be sure that when you comb, you comb small sections at a time and work your way from the bottom up.) also, while they are in the bath, i comb the conditioner thru their hair before rinsing.

If your DD's is long enough, braids also help control the tangles, especially at night.

I started using baking soda wash and a apple cider vinegar rinse a few months ago on my hair and tried it on my 7 yr olds very thick, wavy hair. It is so much more manageable and whenever there is a tangle I just spray some vinegar into her hair as a detangler. It smells when wet but there is no scent once dry. I also braid or put my daughter's hair in a scrunchie at night before bed.
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyewife View Post
    I started using baking soda wash and a apple cider vinegar rinse a few months ago on my hair and tried it on my 7 yr olds very thick, wavy hair. It is so much more manageable and whenever there is a tangle I just spray some vinegar into her hair as a detangler. It smells when wet but there is no scent once dry. I also braid or put my daughter's hair in a scrunchie at night before bed.
    could you please tell us more about the baking soda/vinegar wash? how do you make it and use it? why apple cider not regular vinegar?
    TIA

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have never heard of using vinegar as a detangler before. There are so many uses for vinegar I always keep a big bottle around from Smart and Final. We use California Baby leave in conditioner, and spray on detangler as needed. But, I don't like using chemicals that she might inhale so will have to try the vinegar. Good to know!

could you please tell us more about the baking soda/vinegar wash? how do you make it and use it? why apple cider not regular vinegar?
    TIA
    Sorry it took me so long to respond... I am not sure exactly why Apple Cider vinegar is used, but I have only used AC vinegar for our hair, skin etc but I do use regular white distilled vinegar for cleaning all over my house, it amazing how few commercial cleaning products I have now.

Anyway, I took an old J&J Baby Shampoo bottle and fill that about a third way full of baking soda and then fill the rest up with water. I squirt a little onto DD's hair while she is showering and we just rinse through. I have the ACV in a spray bottle and simply spray it onto her hair and then rinse out. DD has extremely thick, wavy, long hair and after a few weeks of this routine she had way fewer tangles and her hair is very shiney. Once her hair dries the vinegar smell disappears. If needed, I will use the spray in the morning to get out and nighttime tangles, works like a charm!

I hope that helps.

DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyewife View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to respond... I am not sure exactly why Apple Cider vinegar is used, but I have only used AC vinegar for our hair, skin etc but I do use regular white distilled vinegar for cleaning all over my house, it amazing how few commercial cleaning products I have now.

Anyway, I took an old J&J Baby Shampoo bottle and fill that about a third way full of baking soda and then fill the rest up with water. I squirt a little onto DD's hair while she is showering and we just rinse through. I have the ACV in a spray bottle and simply spray it onto her hair and then rinse out. DD has extremely thick, wavy, long hair and after a few weeks of this routine she had way fewer tangles and her hair is very shiney. Once her hair dries the vinegar smell disappears. If needed, I will use the spray in the morning to get out and nighttime tangles, works like a charm!

I hope that helps.

thanks! i'll try it. vinegar is amazing. i swear i use it for everything! i have used vinegar on my hair to remove product build up (and make my hair shiny) but never thought to use it as a conditioner!

how/why do you use it on your skin?

thanks! i'll try it. vinegar is amazing. i swear i use it for everything! i have used vinegar on my hair to remove product build up (and make my hair shiny) but never thought to use it as a conditioner!

how/why do you use it on your skin?
    Toenail fungus

DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!