Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    37

    Default How to fix badly tangled hair?

    My 2.5 DD always has very tangled hair especially when she woke up in the morning. With winter hat, her hair always a mess. We used J&J detangle shampoo for fine hair but it did not seem to help much.

    To comb her dry tangled hair, sometimes I just used water to wet her hair but also have detangling spray. With spray, I just felt it was just a little easier.

    Is there any good way to take care of tangled very fine hair? Baby oil, nourishing shampoo?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    .
    Posts
    920

    Default

    My dd has the same problem. I have found that using a conditioner helps alot with the tangles. I have been using the Suave kids line of shampoo and conditioner. I also use their hair detangler, but since I started using the conditioner I haven't had to use it as much.

  3. #3
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    lots of conditioner and don't let the tangles build up. we use a leave in conditioner daily. comb out the tangles as often as possible. i noticed that if i don't bother to comb the girls' hair one day, the next day the tangles will be worse. (be sure that when you comb, you comb small sections at a time and work your way from the bottom up.) also, while they are in the bath, i comb the conditioner thru their hair before rinsing.

  4. #4
    luza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    lots of conditioner and don't let the tangles build up. we use a leave in conditioner daily. comb out the tangles as often as possible. i noticed that if i don't bother to comb the girls' hair one day, the next day the tangles will be worse. (be sure that when you comb, you comb small sections at a time and work your way from the bottom up.) also, while they are in the bath, i comb the conditioner thru their hair before rinsing.

    If your DD's is long enough, braids also help control the tangles, especially at night.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    268

    Default

    I started using baking soda wash and a apple cider vinegar rinse a few months ago on my hair and tried it on my 7 yr olds very thick, wavy hair. It is so much more manageable and whenever there is a tangle I just spray some vinegar into her hair as a detangler. It smells when wet but there is no scent once dry. I also braid or put my daughter's hair in a scrunchie at night before bed.
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

    DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

  6. #6
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyewife View Post
    I started using baking soda wash and a apple cider vinegar rinse a few months ago on my hair and tried it on my 7 yr olds very thick, wavy hair. It is so much more manageable and whenever there is a tangle I just spray some vinegar into her hair as a detangler. It smells when wet but there is no scent once dry. I also braid or put my daughter's hair in a scrunchie at night before bed.
    could you please tell us more about the baking soda/vinegar wash? how do you make it and use it? why apple cider not regular vinegar?
    TIA

  7. #7
    California is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,258

    Default

    I have never heard of using vinegar as a detangler before. There are so many uses for vinegar I always keep a big bottle around from Smart and Final. We use California Baby leave in conditioner, and spray on detangler as needed. But, I don't like using chemicals that she might inhale so will have to try the vinegar. Good to know!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    could you please tell us more about the baking soda/vinegar wash? how do you make it and use it? why apple cider not regular vinegar?
    TIA
    Sorry it took me so long to respond... I am not sure exactly why Apple Cider vinegar is used, but I have only used AC vinegar for our hair, skin etc but I do use regular white distilled vinegar for cleaning all over my house, it amazing how few commercial cleaning products I have now.

    Anyway, I took an old J&J Baby Shampoo bottle and fill that about a third way full of baking soda and then fill the rest up with water. I squirt a little onto DD's hair while she is showering and we just rinse through. I have the ACV in a spray bottle and simply spray it onto her hair and then rinse out. DD has extremely thick, wavy, long hair and after a few weeks of this routine she had way fewer tangles and her hair is very shiney. Once her hair dries the vinegar smell disappears. If needed, I will use the spray in the morning to get out and nighttime tangles, works like a charm!

    I hope that helps.
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

    DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

  9. #9
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyewife View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to respond... I am not sure exactly why Apple Cider vinegar is used, but I have only used AC vinegar for our hair, skin etc but I do use regular white distilled vinegar for cleaning all over my house, it amazing how few commercial cleaning products I have now.

    Anyway, I took an old J&J Baby Shampoo bottle and fill that about a third way full of baking soda and then fill the rest up with water. I squirt a little onto DD's hair while she is showering and we just rinse through. I have the ACV in a spray bottle and simply spray it onto her hair and then rinse out. DD has extremely thick, wavy, long hair and after a few weeks of this routine she had way fewer tangles and her hair is very shiney. Once her hair dries the vinegar smell disappears. If needed, I will use the spray in the morning to get out and nighttime tangles, works like a charm!

    I hope that helps.

    thanks! i'll try it. vinegar is amazing. i swear i use it for everything! i have used vinegar on my hair to remove product build up (and make my hair shiny) but never thought to use it as a conditioner!

    how/why do you use it on your skin?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    thanks! i'll try it. vinegar is amazing. i swear i use it for everything! i have used vinegar on my hair to remove product build up (and make my hair shiny) but never thought to use it as a conditioner!

    how/why do you use it on your skin?
    Toenail fungus
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

    DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •