Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Terrified. DH and I were both like, are we sure this is what we wanted? And we were already married 8 years at that point...we are not very decisive people I guess! It passed, and we got excited.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

1st- absolute excitement and shock. I was 7 wks pregnant when I took a test just to rule that out before scheduling Dr appts for "major stomach issues". We had been married 5 yrs but BARELY off BC. It felt so right though that I was devastated at an unpredicted 14 m/c.

2nd- never been so scared I was maybe 3 wks when I took the test and it was only 4 mos after the m/c. Stayed scared until oh, around 22 wks.

I have 8 wks left, this is my last week of work and I am now so excited I can hardly think about anything else!
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

malphy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Shock and awe!!! Then terror.

After ten years, numerous mc's, iui, ivf, etc., it was a total surprise.

I was so wrapped up in being able to hold onto the pg(started contrctions at 24 weeks and was put on bedrest) that I didn't have time to be afraid of actually having her and how she would change my life!

My little miracle held on until 38 weeks!!

marit is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When I saw the second line on the pee stick I just burst into un-controlable laughter. DH asked - what's wrong? what's wrong? but I couldn't answer, I was laughing so hard...

What was going through my mind was - I can't believe it really works! kinda feeling. I mean, you have unprotected sex - and voila!
    Marit

Mom to DD Ballerina, 2003
    and DS Superhero, 2005
    and DD CurlyQ, 2009

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.
    Herein lies the peace of God.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Gleeful, but not directly about the pregnancy ... DH had been insisting we should go out to our friends' 4th of July barbecue at their house.

Their house is out on LONG ISLAND and it takes us 2 hours each way to get there. They smoke, have multiple cats and two long-haired dogs, but are otherwise nice people.

The last thing I wanted after learning I was pregnant was to hang out with smokers far from home in case I got sick.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

After 2 years of charting and a round of IUI following a FULL infert workup and surgery to remove polyps I was very excited but also very cautious. I didn't really get EXCITED til about 5 months. Even then I was cautious.

With DS2 it was after a year of trying and 3 rounds of IUI. I was THRILLED as next stop was IVF.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Very nervous, almost so much that I couldn't relax enough to be happy. But I was ecstatic too. I had lots of strong emotions. I also realize looking back I had NO IDEA what I was getting into.

When I found out it was twins, shock doesn't even come close to describing it. At the time I was happy I was getting two for one pregnancy. But I really enjoyed being pregnant.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

After trying for 10 years with PCOS, losing a lot of weight and then trying again, my 1st reaction was pure excitement coupled with disbelief. I will NEVER forget the look in DH's eyes when I told him. No words, but one look that spoke of the deepest love, joy and hope.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

With DD I was really excited because we had been TTC for a year...........but also a little fearful because I was diabetic and only had books to help me prepare for what I'd go through.........
    With this one I was surprised because it happened so quickly and easily, but also happy because we didn't have to go through everything we did the first time....

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

First, let me just say that reading many of your responses gave me the chills because so many people have such intense stories in the TTC journey. I thought I had it rough trying for 11 months before getting pg with DD, but you've all humbled me and made me realize that was nothin', so thank you!
    Anyhow, since we'd been trying a while with DD, and gone through the fertility work-up (testing both of us, my various blood tests which helped me get over my fear of needles & shots, charting, hypnotherapy, praying, etc., etc.), I honestly never thought I'd be able to get pregnant. Don't know why, I just never thought I'd be lucky enough for it to work for me, but when I took the home test and it had the two pink lines, I was in disbelief. So I took another, got the same result, and ran around the house praying/ shouting "Please let this be real! Please let this be real!" I was just sooooooooo delighted and shocked that it actually happened. So I was gung-ho about it and told some people at around the 8-10 week mark, but truthfully, until she was born, I always kind of worried that something would go wrong. I think it's finally sunk in (over a year later) that I'm a mom and my life will never be the same.
    With #2, it was quite a different story as we weren't TTC, but we also weren't trying to prevent it. I didn't think we'd start trying til this summer or fall, but lo and behold a vacation gave us a little surprise. So again I took two tests to confirm and said "Oh, baby" (kind of like 'what did I get myself into?!'). DH was surprised, too, but happy, and we're still in the very early stages, so it'll be a while before we can share the news openly. A big part of me is sad that I'm taking alone time away from DD and myself to enjoy together, but another part of me realizes that she'll enjoy having a sibling close in age to her, and as my mom says, that'll mean more to her over time than having me to herself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast