DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Getting through gastroenteritis

When I woke DD up this morning she was soaked through her diaper (she had nursed at 6am and went back down), and there were yellow spots in her crib and on her jammies. She's thrown up 4 times already this morning (bright yellow and clear). No fever. The nurse said Gastroenteritis is going around, so she thinks that's what it is. I can't for the life of me figure out where she could've gotten it. DS had it, but that was 2 weeks ago at least. I SAH, and we haven't had any playdates this past week. She usually only gets sick when DS brings something home from preschool. In any case, she's been begging for food/drink/nurse. Boy is that hard b/c she doesn't understand why she can't eat/nurse. She's playing fine. When DS had it, he was totally konked out and didn't want to eat anyway.

The nuse seemed very surprised that I didn't have any pedialite (expired so I threw it), koolaid, gatoraid, popsicles, etc. Is it ok to just give a Tbs of water when it's time? She wasn't too thrilled with that. She said if she doesn't throw up after an hour and getting 1 tbs of fluid, I can resume nursing. Does that sound right?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, that sounds right. I'd try a diluted gatorade. And let her nurse if she wants to. So sorry about the nasty gi bug. Hope it is brief!!
    K

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

apple juice. itty bitty drops of it.

also get your hands on probiotics if you haven't already. HUGE life saver

Honestly, Sally, I'd nurse through. Your milk is what she needs, and letting her nurse a bit (even if she tosses it later) still gets her more of the good stuff. Try putting a drop of probiotics on your nipple - that would help more than anything.

If that really doesn't float your boat, then 5ml (or a teaspoon) of water every 5 minutes until she keeps it down for an hour. Then nurse.

Poor little one - and poor mommy! Hope she feels better soon.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

We're (fingers crossed) on the tail end of this with DD1, and I think one thing that really prolonged it was that she refused to drink pedialyte or juice and just wanted water. Even a couple of small sips caused her to vomit within 10 minutes. I called the nurse this morning, and she told me to not give DD1 any water at all until she could keep down reasonable amounts of solid food. And no solid food until she could at least keep down apple juice, given 1 Tbsp at a time with at least 15 minutes between, for a few hours. She said that water is really, really hard on an upset stomach...who knew?

Honestly, I don't keep those things in the house myself, I had to have DH bring some home yesterday. And it didn't matter, because the pedialyte and popsicles have been completely rejected. Luckily DD1 finally consented to apple juice and ginger ale, so I think she's on the mend!

I hope your DD feels better very soon!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Well, DH is out of town, and I can't get out to get any gatorade, etc.
    This morning I waited an hour after she last threw up and gave a Tbs of water every 15 min for an hour. She did fine, so I let her have some more water and some O's. Nursed her and put her down for a nap. So, it had been 4 hours since she had thrown up and she slept 2 hours. She woke up and threw up again twice. So, I guess it's back to square one. I wonder why she could go essentially 6 hours wo/throwing up and then start again. The only thing I have in the house is some icees made out of 100% juice. I guess I could melt them an giver her some of that diluted?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm glad that DD is feeling better!

I guess there is conflicting information on weather or not it is better to nurse when your DC is sick. I always nursed DD through tummy bugs. When DD had her first bout of this, the after hours nurse on the phone at my pediatrician's office told me not to, but when I took DD in, the doctor himself told me it was fine and encouraged me to. (And yes, I did let him know his nurse was giving contradictory advice AGAIN...)

I wonder what other's experiences are?

Also Sally, if you don't have gatoraid or pedialyte on hand you can do a rice-water, sugar and salt solution. I'll have to look up the recipe, but it is the WHO's rehydration solution. DD refuses pedialyte liquid so this is what I use if I don't have the icy-pops on hand.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I called my sister and she brought over some pedialite and gatorade on the way home from work. DD didn't like it at first, but then begged for it since she was so thirsty.

When I was on the phone with the nurse and she kept asking about kool-aide, jello, gatorade, etc., I said, "well, those are all just sugar water, right? So, can I just give her some sugar water?" She got thoroughly confused and didn't even know what I was talking about.

So, tonight after thowing up 2x in the afternoon, she was able to keep down about 1/4 cup pedialite, some probiotic, and a few pieces of pancake. I nursed her very briefly before putting her down (she wasn't happy with that). I'm crossing my fingers that she sleeps through the night and doesn't wake up throwing up again.

It was so hard with her following me around the kitchen all day beggin for food/water. I didn't eat too much today b/c I felt so bad eating in front of her.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would nurse her on demand. JMHO. BM is different than formula or cows milk. I would supplement with Pedialyte.

In fact, if I could find the fact sheet, that is exactly what the puke-instructions are from Childrens. I'll see if I can find it on their website
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I guess Dr Sears says nursing is great for the vomiting baby:
    http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t083300.asp
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD