Default all these cooking threads-has anyone cooked from mastering the art of french cooking?

Just wondering. I read the julie/julia book and we rented the movie and now of course like a lemming i want to go buy the book. The $40 price tag I saw on amazon doesn't encourage me in my purchase but if i knew that someone-anyone had actually made something from it i would have hope that I would actually use it instead of having it sit on a bookshelf for it's lifetime or be a bedtime reading book on my nightstand.

Just wondering.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Our book club read the book and later saw the movie when it came out. A few of us have checked out the first volume from the library and made a few recipes, but none of us have purchased a copy. Quite frankly numerous recipes in the book (like the offal and gelatins) are ones none of us has even a remote interest in making! Then of course there are lots that require way more time and effort than we have right now.

If you want to try a dish from it, I 100%, absolutely, positively recommend making the potato leek soup! It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy!!! Not to mention easy to make! Everyone in our book club has made it and everyone loves it. http://www.recipezaar.com/Potage-Par...a-Child-270731
    Jen

I have one of the volumes, a hand-me-down from my mom, but I haven't cooked from it. I do use "The Way to Cook" ALL the time, though. I think many of the recipes are similar to the ones in the original French Chef Cookbook, from the tv series.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have them (from my MIL) but I never use them. The recipes are too complicated and too fatty IMO.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was given the book about 4 years ago and think I have made one thing out of it. I really need to get cracking.

Beth