Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Can you take Hydrocodone three years past the expiration date?

I'm pretty sure I have another kidney stone. I'm not 100% sure, and I won't know till Monday when I go to the MD, unless I want to go to the ER, which I don't. So far not needing any pain meds, but I'm getting twinges, and it's all coming back to me now. So, I dug around the medicine cabinet in an effort to make a pre-emptory strike, in case the pain gets bad. I found a nearly full bottle of Hydrocodone, but it expired three years ago come April. I know I can just take a bunch of Motrin, but with a kidney stone, that stuff doesn't make much of a dent. I don't think I'm gonna need it, but just in case, WWYD, take it or not?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

There is very little done on meds past their exp. date. All they can say is that the effectiveness may decrease. Saying all that if it were me I would try them. Sorry about the kidney stones. Check the date of the original RX. When I worked in the pharmacy we would just automatically put a year for the expiration date. So it might have expired later than what it says.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

DH says that you could take it, but it pretty much wouldn't do anything. I also suggest looking up the shelf life for something like that. DH and I are NOT doctors or pharmacists, this is just what we have found out from personal experience, so take it for what it is.

Hope you can get this issue resolved before it causes you a severe amount of pain.
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yikes! I'm so sorry about the kidney stones! I'd do whatever I could to make the weekend bearable, including taking expired painkillers. Worst case, they do no better than Motrin.

The only caveat that comes to mind is that if they don't work, you should manage any subsequent meds accordingly -- just because they didn't work on the pain doesn't mean there's not the possibility of side effects or interactions with other meds.

Hoping it's a false alarm.
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Fairy,

Call the emergency number for your doctor. The m.d. can call you in a script to pick up tomorrow.

Sorry you're hurting. Feel better.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Not sure how effective the meds would be, but so hope you don't have one! I never want one again and positive "go away" kidney stones thoughts to you.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Not sure how effective the meds would be, but so hope you don't have one! I never want one again and positive "go away" kidney stones thoughts to you.
    Thanks, I need that. I'm thinking "go away" thoguhts, as well. Something is wonky down there, that I know. I do fear it is, indeed, a new kidney stone, and the daily Starbucks black iced tea (strictly on the naughty food list) probably hasn't helped. I really hope I'm wrong. We have Disneyworld on Saturday for a week. Not sure how I'll manage that with a stone, but I've done a Mediterranean cruise with a herniated disk, so I figure if I can get thru that, I can get thru a stone on narcotics. *sigh* So far now serious pain, just jabs and twinges, so if I can just get thru till Monday for a diagnosis, then I'm ok. Ugh.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh no! Go away!!!!!!! Don't come period, but definitely do not put a damper on Fairy's trip you evil stone. Go away mojoX10.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

P&PT for it not to be a stone and that its nothing.

I don't know the answer, but I like the idea of calling the after hours line. Failing that, I'd probably take the drugs if I needed them but couldn't get ahold of a dr.

Hugs!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wife_and_mommy View Post
    Fairy,

Call the emergency number for your doctor. The m.d. can call you in a script to pick up tomorrow.

Sorry you're hurting. Feel better.
    Not sure where you live, but I know in my neck of the woods ... and I believe it's (US) federal law and not just state law ... a doctor can not call in a script for narcotics. It must be an original script that you can take to the pharmacist. I have had my doctor and my pedi call in scripts over the years for cough medicine that contained small amounts of codeine. I know that's a narcotic, but I think it's in a different class than hydrocodone.

That said, I've taken expired pain meds and anti-anxiety meds before ... and my doctor actually said just what another poster said ... they don't go "bad," just might not be as effective or "full strength." I think you'd be fine with three year old pain meds. Hope you feel better soon and it's just a false alarm!!

PS: Just went and checked ... codeine, when used as an anti-cough or anti-diarrhea where there are only small amounts of codeine, is a Schedule V drug and in some states, can even be dispensed without a script. Hydrocodone (which is the generic name for Vicodin) is a Schedule II controlled substance, so definitely need an original script for the pharmacy to dispense it. Just wanted to make sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast