Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
    Not sure where you live, but I know in my neck of the woods ... and I believe it's (US) federal law and not just state law ... a doctor can not call in a script for narcotics. It must be an original script that you can take to the pharmacist. I have had my doctor and my pedi call in scripts over the years for cough medicine that contained small amounts of codeine. I know that's a narcotic, but I think it's in a different class than hydrocodone.

That said, I've taken expired pain meds and anti-anxiety meds before ... and my doctor actually said just what another poster said ... they don't go "bad," just might not be as effective or "full strength." I think you'd be fine with three year old pain meds. Hope you feel better soon and it's just a false alarm!!

PS: Just went and checked ... codeine, when used as an anti-cough or anti-diarrhea where there are only small amounts of codeine, is a Schedule V drug and in some states, can even be dispensed without a script. Hydrocodone (which is the generic name for Vicodin) is a Schedule II controlled substance, so definitely need an original script for the pharmacy to dispense it. Just wanted to make sure.
    Interesting. I live in the US and had a script for hydrocodone called in just last week for an injury. (The doc called it in. I didn't request Vicodin specifically)
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

Quote Originally Posted by Wife_and_mommy View Post
    Interesting. I live in the US and had a script for hydrocodone called in just last week for an injury. (The doc called it in. I didn't request Vicodin specifically)
    I have had it called in after surgery and after DD was born...
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Even my DENTIST was able to call in a prescription for Vicodin for me here in Virginia, so it shouldn't be a problem at all for your doctor to call in a Vicodin prescription for you. Most doctors wouldn't have a problem calling in a prescription for say, 8 Vicodin pills with no refills (just to get you through a weekend or so) for a patient who they have treated previously for kidney stones and who is describing the symptoms you're describing. Sorry to hear about your kidney stones and saying a prayer for you right now!

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not sure where you live, but I know in my neck of the woods ... and I believe it's (US) federal law and not just state law ... a doctor can not call in a script for narcotics. It must be an original script that you can take to the pharmacist. I have had my doctor and my pedi call in scripts over the years for cough medicine that contained small amounts of codeine. I know that's a narcotic, but I think it's in a different class than hydrocodone.

That said, I've taken expired pain meds and anti-anxiety meds before ... and my doctor actually said just what another poster said ... they don't go "bad," just might not be as effective or "full strength." I think you'd be fine with three year old pain meds. Hope you feel better soon and it's just a false alarm!!

PS: Just went and checked ... codeine, when used as an anti-cough or anti-diarrhea where there are only small amounts of codeine, is a Schedule V drug and in some states, can even be dispensed without a script. Hydrocodone (which is the generic name for Vicodin) is a Schedule II controlled substance, so definitely need an original script for the pharmacy to dispense it. Just wanted to make sure.
    Thank you for this info! I had no idea it was the generic for Vicodin. That shows you what your head will do for ya. I have taken Vicodin, and I am 100% sure it was not very effective for my pain at the time. It was a herniated disk, so I just didn't bother with it. I did take the hydrocodone for the stone a few years ago, and it was definitely effective, but I am sure that if I knew at the time that it was the same thing as the vic that it would have impacted my perception of its effectiveness. Then again, this was a nearly full bottle I found, so who knows. But still, this was very interesting introspection for me!

So far only one bad pain jolt, the rest has been just dull little twinges. I think I'll be fine till tomorrow. Not sure how I'm going to get out of my morning meetings, but I have to do it, cuz something is definitely up. Bleeding and everything, just not sure where the origin is, uterine or urethral/renal. I didn't have noticeable bleeding last time (8mm stone), so this is new for me. My appt is with the OB for a sampling of the endometrium, but every horu that goes by, I'm sure I've got that wrong and that it's a stone. I don't know which one to root for. We're going to Disney World on Saturday, and there's no way we're not going. If that means I go with a stent in there then I do. Honestly, the bottom line is that I've been far worse off. At least now I know what I'm likely up against.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Not sure where you live, but I know in my neck of the woods ... and I believe it's (US) federal law and not just state law ... a doctor can not call in a script for narcotics. It must be an original script that you can take to the pharmacist. I have had my doctor and my pedi call in scripts over the years for cough medicine that contained small amounts of codeine. I know that's a narcotic, but I think it's in a different class than hydrocodone

hydrocodone/ tylenol is vicodin and is a schedule 3 narcotic and is able to be phoned in. Pure hydrocodone is not vicodin and might require a triplicate prescription.
    Mama to 3

Honestly, I hate the narcotics and want to avoid it, period. This whole thing sucks. Go away ... go away ... go away ...

Toba is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not sure then if it's a state or federal thing. I know that doctors in my state have not been able to call in scripts of narcotics for many years. Our pharmacy, where we have known the pharmacist well for over 15 years, even has strict regulations about how the script is written (something about the 5 mgs or 7.5 mgs or 10 mgs have to written as say 5 and then also the word five ... something like that, early last year was the last time I've had a script for Percocet after surgery ... thankfully my DH works right across the street from where the doctor's office is and he was able to run over and get a new script written). It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it's a state law, since we have to show a driver's license to buy SUDAFED here ... and you're only allowed so many pills of Sudafed a month on one driver's license number. Seriously. It's apparently because we are the meth capital of the world. Either way, I hope you have a fabulous time in Disney and WITHOUT any pain!!

PS: Just looked it up on wiki and apparently the Sudafed thing is nationwide, not just my state.

Hey Fairy... Just checking in to see if you got this all figured out yet. Was/is it a kidney stone? Are you still hurting? Will it affect your trip this weekend? Were they able to call you in a script?

Hope all is well, just wanted to find out how you are doing...
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

Just chiming in to say hope you feel better!!!!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Well, thanks for asking, Chelle! After various tests that really sucked, let me tell you, everything points to me having probably passed a very small stone. I had nausea, seriously was not feeling well, pain, unexplained bleeding, and what I realized after the fact was evidence of an actual stone. But honestly, the one test I had (endometrial biopsy) was 100 times worse than the symptoms were in the first place. That was pain. So, now that I've recovered from that test, all the tests were clear, no indication of a stone currently, and nothing gynechological. So, I put the codone back and we should be good to go for Disney! Thanks for all the info, guys!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast