Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you Google EpiPen carriers you will find a bunch of companies. Many companies make special cases for them, some even do neoprene. I've read of other parents who put them in a lunch cooler (at room temp). I just tote ours in my purse or diaper bag, I just have to remember to take the bag out of the car. DH was really bad about leaving the diaper bag in the car so I just put the Epi into a little red canvas travel wallet type thing from LLBean so he could tote it around. I didn't want him putting it in his pocket .

When DD was in daycare for a few weeks I had one that stayed there, and I also had one at home. Now it is one in my purse and one at home.

You just don't want to stick it in your glove box in the car. That would really mess it up. One thing to look for is a change of color in the liquid. When you fill the Rx take them out and get familiar with what looks 'normal'. Also, when you need to refill the Rx ask for the ones that are not going to expire soon. We've never needed to jab DD (thank God!) but it is a little annoying to fill and Rx in September only to have it expire in the following January.

You can save your old pens to use as real trainers, you jab an orange or grapefruit. It helps you get a feel for it.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by Krisrich View Post
    And that brings me to my question. How do you carry your epi-pen if you are doing outdoor activities in the heat or cold? It says "brief" excursions outside room temp are ok, but how long is "brief" and how many times?
    I keep one in my purse, two in her diaper bag which travels to daycare with her & several others in designated spots around the house. If I'm going on a longer trip I'll usually take a few along in more accessible locations (suitcase, 2 in my purse, etc.) I think the room temp. warning just means not to leave it in the car for months, not that you actually need a climate controlled bag. I've never had to use mine, thank G-d, & I hope you never do.
    ETA: my ped actually quoted a suprisingly high percentage of reactions that don't respond to the first ePipen administered, which is why there are two in the pack. I only keep one in my purse because they are quite heavy & I usually have her diaper bag when we are together in case I need more than one. You really shouldn't separate them to different locations. Also a hint someone gave me to get more on hand is to refill the rx for the first couple of months, even if you haven't used the first ones.

FWIW I beg to differ with the PP who doesn't see sesame warnings on product labels. I see more 'may contain traces' or 'made on equipment that processes' frequently for sesame & nut. I never see 'contains sesame' cuz I'm not buying those products, LOL! I avoid giving her all of the above because I don't really know how sensitive she is (shared equipment, manufacturing plant, etc.)
    Last edited by ShanaMama; 03-13-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our epi pen stays in a little red travel/packing cube. The bag has a tag I ordered with DS1's name, allergy info, and instructions to call 911 and use the epi pen in the event of a possible reaction. (I have the same tag with the same info on his lunch bag--it also states that DS1 shouldn't eat anything I haven't provided). His epi-pen now stays in DS1's backpack and goes with him to school. I am not as diligent about carrying it as I was when he was younger--most of his reactions are delayed reactions now. I try to grab it whenever we venture out in the warmer months b/c I am nervous about bee stings. I try to never ever leave it in the car for any length of time.
    K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2