Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My ped said Whole Milk.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

After research and gut feelings and your advice, we will be going with whole milk. He's a big baby, but his height and weight are pretty much in line, and he's been this way since 4months. He's started walking two weeks ago, and I really feel that some of his "baby fat" is going to start burning off.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i just got back from my ped's office this week for my dd's 12 month check and he said whole milk. i questioned him on why and he said brian development but the new direction is 1-2% milk, but since dd is 25th in weight and 75th in height (18lbs and 30") i dont have to worry about the extra fat. i questioned it because i know that fat are necessary, but nature intended for babies to be nursed (dd was a formula baby) and breast milk has much lower fat content than cow's milk especially whole milk. so it will be 2% for her since she gets good fats from other sources too such as whole milk yogurt, cheeses, and avocados.

breastmilk is higher in fat than cow's milk.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My dr said 2% milk, not whole, for DD#2, but my kids aren't high weight, so I stuck with whole milk until age 2 for the brain development. Now we use 2% for both girls.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I posted about this a year ago when I took dd in for her 1 year well baby:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...highlight=milk

The AAP does now recommend lowfat milk after the child's first birthday if they are at ANY risk of being overweight or if they have family history of heart disease or high cholesterol, which includes my kids. My mother has serious heart disease and high cholesterol and so does my FIL.

My ped made this recommendation despite the fact that dd is below the charts for weight. I have zero concerns about her cognitive development, and we all drink 1 or 2% milk here. She honestly doesn't drink a ton of milk, but she eats a lot of yogurt and cheese.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We don't do cow's milk for allergy reasons but if we did, I would only do whole milk. Once you take the fat out, it becomes more sugary, less filling, and less healthy.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

We do whole milk. Our pediatrician said they do not advise giving skim or reduced fat because the fat is needed for brain development. Our DD is in a low weight percentile but we have friends whos son is in the 95th percentile and he was put on skim at 9 months. Personally if it were me, I would keep my child on whole milk at this critical age but you have to follow what you think is right for your child.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3