Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Single use ear piercer

Has anyone had any experience with those single use ear piercers that you can buy on the internet? It's a sterile kit with the earring mounted and you push the piece together to pierce the ear.

I want to get my daughters' ears pierced. The pediatrician charges $75 per child, which seem kind of costly to me. Especially, since they don't do anything special.

I'm wondering about the pros and cons of these single use piercers. I know I won't be able to do it myself but my sister said she would be able to. My sis also suggested getting these kits and bringing it to a jewelry store. She said the guns used at the jewelry store or malls might not be sterile.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't have a daughter but if I did I would take her to the ped and have it done. The $75 seems steep but she will be living with the results for the rest of her life. Even if you just take the cost and average it over the first 10 years - that's $7.50 per year. I would not take her to the mall to have them done - the employees at the mall generally don't have formal training and if they do it is often just from watching a video.

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree - if I really wanted that kind of thing done, I would want the pediatrician to do it.
    Last edited by Canna; 03-05-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Trying to respond more politely.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A gun type piercer is not safe for little ears. I'd go to the pediatrician.

Beth

I think the pediatrician's office uses a gun as well. And it won't be the doctor but the nurse doing the piercing. When I spoke to her, it didn't seem like they did anything different. Mark the ears, punch the holes.

I definitely don't plan on bringing DDs to the mall. I was thinking about doing it myself with these sterile kits. Or bringing to a friend of the family that owns a jewelry store and has experience piercing ears.

http://www.earpiercer.com/shop/index...=index&cPath=1

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with these single use ear piercers. Like how hard would one have to push to actually pierce the ear.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    A gun type piercer is not safe for little ears. I'd go to the pediatrician.

Beth
    How do they do it at the pediatrician?
    Kris

I'd find a professional piercer(as in from a tattoo-type place).

I wouldn't trust a ped's nurse as they have little to no training and, unlike the mall, probably don't do it often enough to feel completely comfortable at it. I'm all for capitalism but $75 seems really steep for that.

Hth.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    How do they do it at the pediatrician?
    The ones I know about use a needle.

Beth

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would definitely try to go to a piercer or someone who uses a piercing needle. Piercing guns are difficult to sterilize and can also cause scar tissue around the site of the piercing because of the force of the piercing gun. I have several piercings and I also think using a gun is more painful.

Also, pay attention to the type of metal they use for her studs (or hoops), and for allergic reactions and infections later on. If you take her earrings out when there is an infection, the piercing can close with the infection still inside!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't know how old your DD is, but I have to say, I just think ear piercing for little ones is a really bad idea. There is so much risk for infection, allergies and irritation...I just don't think it's worth it. I can no longer wear any jewelry at all due to allergies. I just think it's better to wait until the child is old enough to take care of it themselves or at the very least tell you if there is discomfort. At the very least, be sure to get a completely nickel-free needle for piercing. I would not use a gun or get it done at the mall. I agree the Tatoo places can be safer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast