Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

yes we started them at just shy of 5 mos IIRC. I had stopped breast feeding the month prior and for whatever reason DD's ped. suggested we start a couple of times a month. DH took DD to that appt. so I never asked why he suggested it, but DD tolerated them well.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think I got impatient and tried rice cereal out at maybe 5 and a half months? But it was all just practice/play until about 7 or 8 months, when DD actually started to enjoy "solids." IME it's more about your desire to see your baby try something new than their need for solids! I wouldn't have started any earlier though.

for Sandy Hook

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I think I got impatient and tried rice cereal out at maybe 5 and a half months? But it was all just practice/play until about 7 or 8 months, when DD actually started to enjoy "solids." IME it's more about your desire to see your baby try something new than their need for solids! I wouldn't have started any earlier though.
    I did that with ds1. Back in that day (7+y ago) the recommendation was 4-6m old. So, as soon as he was 4m we tried. Utter failure as he slept worse, didn't really like it and it was a PITB to do solids when compared to the ease of nursing. We bagged it till 6+m after just a few attempts.

Beth

ncat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We started DD around 4 months and DS around 6 months.
    DD showed more interest and readiness and we were more anxious to have her try new things. (For DS we wanted to avoid the hassle as long as possible and ended up doing more finger foods and fewer purees).

For DD it was important for us to do solids earlier because she would not take a bottle and was nursing all evening - spoon feeding her cereal was the only way I'd get a break to feed myself dinner!
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

We started DD at exactly 5 months and a week, because she happened to see the pediatrician that day and the Dr. said she looked ready (muscle tone, sitting up, etc) and said her behavior indicated that she was interested. One thing we had done, since she had been looking at our plates, watching us eat, and reaching for food for a few weeks already, was start giving her plain bm on a spoon. That got her used to the feeling of a spoon in her mouth. We did nothing but a little bit of rice cereal in bm until she was 6 months, and then introduced pureed fruits and veggies. She loves pretty much everything she's been given, including chunkier bits of mashed banana and avocado. She does like to feed herself--we put food on a spoon, she takes the spoon and shoves it into her mouth. It is messy, but that way she controls how much she eats.
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

Default Thanks for the advice

I originally asked the question about 15 days ago. Since the opinions were very different, I decided to wait for 15 more days and let her turn 6 months before starting solids other than rice cereal. Yesterday she turned 6 months and today I tried applesauce mixed with formula. She made funny faces but kept opening her mouth for more. I think it will take some time to get used to. she also had her 6 month checkup and her ped gave me go-ahead on feeding solids 3 times a day, but suggested to introduce new food every 5 days.

Yep, she had to start rice cereal at I believe (it's been a while) 3/4 mo due to her reflux, it seemed to keep it in a little longer.

She started fruits, one at a time around 5 months. Never had any issues with food itself, once we went through each one. By 6/7 months she was even eating chicken and whatever else we ate for dinner that she wasn't allergic to (I rarely bought baby food-just mushed up real food, veggies and fruits included).

DD2 was allergic to milk and soy and with the reflux issues, VERY low on the ht/wt scale. She needed the extra nutrients for sure.

DD1 started around the same time. *I* personally believe that if they are ready, let them eat.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Wow! 3 solid meals/ day at 3m? Don't feel rushed to go that far yet. It took me until almost 12m to be doing 3 solid meals/ day. We probably did one meal/ day for the first 1-2 months then just gradually increased.

Glad she liked it though.
    Beth

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I started my daughter on rice cereal and fruit at 3 1/2 months. She was going through bottles like crazy. The doctor preferred her to start solids and it was fine by me.

She is now 4 months and 1 week and we are doing 3 meals a day with bottles in between. She has gone through all the fruits with no reaction. I am almost done testing the veggies (3days on each). She does great with the spoon (except when she tries to grab it from me and I make a mess .

She loves the solids and has favorite flavors. We do rice cereal and fruit in the morning. We add a veggie for lunch and dinner to the rice cereal and fruit.

She is also finally sleeping through the night much more frequently due to the solids. She is 14 lbs and she used to wake up for 2 bottles at night. Now it is at worst 1 bottle or at best a full night's sleep. I like the fact that she is now on a schedule. It makes life easier.

I plan on starting meat and stage 2 food at 6 months. I'll probably try oatmeal soon.

If they like solids and do well with them (no reactions), I don't see any reason to delay them.
    Last edited by llama8; 03-30-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3