Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Just sent you a PM

Let me know if you don't receive it.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

when looking at Newton, try to figure out your proximity to Newton Corner - where newton meets Watertown. there is an express buss that goes from Watertown Center to Newton Corner directly to downtown. very convenient. but, its on the edge of newton.

otherwise, you likely have to drive somewhere to take the T. if you're close to the green line, you'd end up taking the green line ALL the way in and taking the red line back out. the greenline takes FOREVER!

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are in a close-in suburb with OK/average public schools. Diversity (both socio-economic and ethnic) is really important to us as is affordable housing and a short commute. I think the extra time that DH and I have to spend with the kids because we have short commutes is really valuable and needed to be weighed against the value of sending them to top-ranked schools. So far, we have been extremely pleased with the DD's kindergarten experience, but we will likely consider moving or private school when she gets to 6th grade or so.

We haven't been in the area too long, but I have heard good things about the charter school in Malden (sounds very intense, but there is a lottery system to get in) and about the public schools in Brookline.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Regarding Newton - I think they have great, great schools. I know a few parents there and it is a relatively high-pressure environment. My boss lives there and says he feels like a bit of an outsider because he "schedules" a few free weekday evenings for his grade-school kids in the belief in imaginative play vs sports/music/structured classes afterschool each day.

There is also a famous New York Times profile of Newton North high school girls from a couple years ago - talking about how the ones at the top academically also feel pressure to be "effortlessly hot". You can see it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/us...prod=permalink It's probably true everywhere but I think it can be harder in an extremely affuent community like Newton.

Again, I think Newton has a great community / school system, just wanted to provide a little more context. Schools in Massachusetts are excellent in general and even ones not in top 20 per Boston Magazine are superb, so you have LOTS of choices. I personally probably would be happy to move to Newton and have my kids go to school there to get a great start in life. But it's pretty homogenous and competative. This is not an anti-Newton post every community has its downsides.
    Last edited by wellyes; 03-13-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    when looking at Newton, try to figure out your proximity to Newton Corner - where newton meets Watertown. there is an express buss that goes from Watertown Center to Newton Corner directly to downtown. very convenient. but, its on the edge of newton.

otherwise, you likely have to drive somewhere to take the T. if you're close to the green line, you'd end up taking the green line ALL the way in and taking the red line back out. the greenline takes FOREVER!
    ITA agree that Newton Corner is a great area for commuters and that the green line does take FOREVER (which is why I drive in, from much farther away than Newton), but my understanding is that that particular area of Newton (Newton-Watertown line) doesn't have the best schools. Again, it's all relative, I guess.

If you're near MGH, then, perhaps, Cambridge or Arlington would be a better option (b/c of the red line). But, again, Cambridge schools are hit or miss.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3