Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How long does your 9-week old (or approx age) sleep at night without a feeding?

My pediatrician told me my 9 week old (who weighs about 11 pounds) is capable of going 10-12 hours without eating. She said that he's waking in the middle of the night for comfort, not hunger, and that I can eliminate the middle of the night feeding. So just curious, how long does your 9 week old (or approximate age) go at night without feeding?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You didn't indicate if your son is BF or formula fed. I can only speak from experience with BF.
    DD1 woke 3x's a night until at least 6mos and then 2x's a night until she weaned at 19mos. DD2 is now 12wks and she sometimes sleeps 8hrs before waking but sometimes only 6hrs. IMO it's too much to expect a BF baby to sleep that long without waking to eat at that age. I think some do but there's a lot that don't.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

i think your pediatrician is crazy. maybe a 9 week old CAN make it without food for that long, but... if a bottle/food is comforting then feed your lo. i am a huge advocate of cio and other toughy methods, but 9 weeks old???? c'mon doc.

i remember the nurse in the hospital telling us to get as many feeds/oz in in the day b/c they need a certain number in a 24 hour period. if not during the day, they must eat at night.

with that said, feed that little cherub. the night waking will end soon enough.
    neeley

Guess that is important to mention - he's both breast and bottle fed. I don't produce enough milk for him so we supplement with formula. He takes about 5 oz, 2 of which are formula and 3-3.5 of breastmilk.

He's gone 5-6 hours in between feedings at night. I thought that was pretty good but my pediatrician said if I don't break the middle of the night feeding now then it will continue and be harder to break at 4 months because they're more stubborn at that point. I'm beginning to think this is absurd and I should be grateful for the 5-6 hours that he'll go. I've tried eliminating the middle of the night feeding that past 4 nights and though I can get him back to sleep, he continues to wake up at least every hour until I feed him, which is probably a pretty good indicator that he's hungry and not just wanting comfort.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If he's doing 4-5 hrs in btwn feedings at night, consider yourself lucky. Your ped is on crack if he thinks that it is at all typical for a 9 wk old to sleep 10-12 hrs through the night w/o waking up.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

DS1 nursed all night long forever (well, seemed like forever - many many months). DS 2 - total opposite - slept through the night by month 2. I couldn't believe it. However, just when you get used to something, it changes...and the last few nights he's been waking 2x - 3x overnight.

While your Ped is correct that a baby 'could' sleep for a longer stretch at this point, all babies are different and they shouldn't be expected to sleep longer. I would venture to guess more 9 week old babies wake overnight than sleep through. I think your mama intuition is right in this case - if he keeps waking every hour, he probably wants more milk.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NewMom2007 View Post
    DS1 nursed all night long forever (well, seemed like forever - many many months). DS 2 - total opposite - slept through the night by month 2. I couldn't believe it. However, just when you get used to something, it changes...and the last few nights he's been waking 2x - 3x overnight.
    That's my experience as well. DS slept 12 hours from 5-6 months, then he started waking up 2 times a night. I just nurse him when he's hungry. I'm kind of used to limited sleep at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    If he's doing 4-5 hrs in btwn feedings at night, consider yourself lucky. Your ped is on crack if he thinks that it is at all typical for a 9 wk old to sleep 10-12 hrs through the night w/o waking up.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Agree with PP. Your ped is crazy. Thank your lucky stars that your baby is sleeping GREAT at this age.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast