czekit7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Tuna smelling poop

OK, not to get into the specifics of my situation AGAIN, but is there a formula out there that causes your baby's poop to have a fishy, or TUNA-smelling poo??

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I don't know about formula but some baby foods have omega fatty acids added (they add fish oil) so I imagine that could cause the smell. I believe some formulas advertise adding omega 3s as well.

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This happens to DS when he eats salmon. Stinky!
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So, was it formula or BM that your DS was given? My first thought was that the mom ate some fish, but if it was formula, I don't know. It may just be the way your DS is processing it. It should clear soon, I hope.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

DrSally

I'm assuming it was formula since there is only one other breastfed baby, and he was eating at the time. Thanks.

Talking

For anyone that is reading this, DS has been exclusively Bmilk now for one week (and I think that the daycare is being very careful now...like they should), and his poo is back to the sticky-sweet Bmilk smelling, bright yellow, and much runnier. There for a few days, it was greenish-brown and was almost "soft" not runny...ok, I'm a nurse, and there IS a difference from watery, runny, pasty, soft, formed and hard!! I'm SOOO happy, plus YESTERDAY, my little Bugaboo had THREE BMs...YEAH!!!! He had a few days where he only went once every 40hrs (again, VERY concerning to me, although my MIL/pedi nurse [one and the same] told me that as he gets older, his system retains and absorbs more of the nutrients, making less waste/BM/poo). I don't care..I'm just happy he's back to bright yellow poo (Bmilk and Similac poo), that it's EVERY day, and that his GI system is back the way I like it...although I'm not a GI nurse (actually open-heart/cardiac ICU nurse), one of the things I'm ALWAYS watching is how my patients bowel movements are going...to quote my favorite comedy "Scrubs", "It's all about the poo!!"