Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would def. find out what the salary/commision set up is. DH has a base salary that we very easily live off of. His commisions are what we use for the "extras" in our life (vacation, ceiling fans, mulch........) so if his comission isn't that great our day-to-day doesn't suffer; we just don't go on vacation or put as much mulch/flowers in the yard.
    And travel is a big thing to ask about to.
    If his territory is local he won't have to travel much for daily stuff while selling, but like my DH, there will still be regional/national meetings to attend.
    I don't feel like a single mom with DH's job, but I know not all sales jobs are like my DH's.
    If he can do a field ride with one of the sales guys/gals that would probably help him out a lot.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

DH here.

Not really done sales. But been in various levels and types of Management.

I always evaluate management positions as a three legged stool. Compensation, Responsibility, Power. All three need to be equal and balanced.

Companies love to give more responsibility, sometimes a little more compensation, and rarely real power.

Compensation evaluated in comparison to responsibility - they want me to do X more work or spend Y more hours - compensation match this increase in work or results or stress?

Responsibility should be evaluated in terms of power. Can I authorize or approve resources - what power do I have alone - and what do I have to go through other higher managers to get approval. Can I hire and fire my staff - determine their raises, sign outside contracts, approve purchase of equipment or supplies ...in order to deliver on the responsibilities and results demanded of me as a manager. Mid level management is awful in this regard....no real power - but lots of pressure to deliver results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2