Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OP, DD is almost 22 mos and talking the way you described your son. The pediatrician expressed that she's an "advanced talker" but we're taking that with a grain of salt and think she's average. DD walked at 15 mos and isn't very coordinated compared to other kids her age. It sounds like some kids are better at verbal and others are better at motor skills and the two often don't go hand in hand. Hopefully you're pediatrician can give you some good answers to your questions.

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OP, your son's speech sounds really normal to me. My older DD was just like at at around 23 months and is a very verbal and talkative 5 year-old now. I do remember knowing a couple of babies that were really early talkers and I do think that kind of thing can make parents a little concerned that their child isn't 'getting it' as fast, but I think there's just a really wide range of normal speech early on.

DD#2 right now is 26 months old. I have no concerns about her speech development, nor does her pediatrician. She has a wide vocabulary and uses a lot of words. She knows her colors and recently showed us she can count up to six (after which she said, "...nine!"). But her number of words in a sentence is still probably about 2-3 average. Typical sentences would be things like, "Went gym class," or "Rachel's school" or "Show new shoes" or "Ate chicken nuggets all up." Sometimes she'll use the subject 'I' but not typically. She uses adjectives like nice, big, tiny, pretty, shiny, stripey, beautiful and adverbs like already, yet, and now. Most of her words are easy to understand. Sometimes she leaves off ending consonants (milk is difficult to understand, it sounds like "mouh") and sometimes she substitutes "ee" for ending consonants, so table is "ta-bee".

Just wanted to say thanks, OP, for posting this question. I've been worried about my DS2 (even though he's just turning 18 months), and the replies have helped me.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

DS is 22 months old, and the 2nd child. He talks constantly, but is understandable to me maybe 50% of the time? He does string words together, like "Where's Papa? Work?" and "Belle, what are you doing? Yoo-hoo!" and "Knock-knock, it's me!", but I've noticed he doesn't have the "s" sound down yet. He definitely isn't as advanced in speech as DD was at his age, but I know that's normal for boys so I'm not worried. He can answer questions, and follow 2 step directions, so I'm pretty sure his receptive language is fine. His other language quirk is that instead of saying "yes", he mouths "yeah" repeatedly, but no sound comes out. He's done that for probably a year now, and I've only heard him actually vocalize it a few times. I wish he did that with "no" instead but unfortunately that comes out loud and clear! He will repeat words when you say them, but hasn't had any huge bursts of language lately, more just slow and steady adding of words. Some words sound the same - he says "eye" for eye and ear, when pointing to each part. HTH
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 basically said independent words (not sentences) until he had a language explosion around 2.5.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think they all do things at their own speed, and it sounds like your DS is in the relm of normal. My DS only had a couple words at his 15 month appointment, and I was worried, but had a breakthrough between 18 month-2 yo, and by the time he was two was extremely verbal. but, a lot of our friends' kids that are his same age were barely speaking then, and are still hard to understand now, but they're fine.

There is such a range. Please try not to worry.

DS was a slow talker and I had him in speech therapy from around a year (14 months) on. He then had a language explosion, and knew all his letter (and their sounds), colors, numbers, etc shortly after 2. The preschool teacher told me that Adam knows the answer when everyone else is stumped! He is the star pupil!

DD Leah was also a slow talker. Got her evaluated at 18 months and she tested at 11 months for speech! But she didn't qualify for services (no other areas of delay). Now, at about 20 months, she is also hitting an explosion. She UNDERSTANDS everything. EG if husband and I are talking in casual conversation and I tell him not to forget his cell phone, she goes and finds it. She is JUST starting to talk in 2 word sentences "More milk"...but I don't doubt her intelligence.

Expressive language is ALL OVER the map. When in doubt, get them evaluated with early intervention. I wouldn't personally worry excessively or seek outside help until about 30 months.

lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have 28.5 mt. old boy. He speaks very well and speaks in sentances. He was a late talker. But when he started talking it was quick. You can understand everything he says. He repeats everything he hears. Good or bad. But they all do things at different times. He may exploded with words real soon.

DD is almost 22 months. Back around 18 mos checkup - Ped had us consider EI, since she was not talking at all (and I posted about it) but we decided to hold off this winter.She is so clever and bright. She has been very verbal - babbling on - and singing - and animated. She is very receptive but had no real words until about 2 weeks ago.

"Apple" was first word. Now we have "Mommy", "Daddy", "Duck", and "Dog".

However, this still seems well beneath the language guidelines. We have a checkup again this weekend and I am sure Ped will bring this up.

We have decided to give DD till second Bday and see how she progresses before starting any EI.

Story from a mom we know in our town. Her DS had been receiving intervention and therapy for a while but nothing was happening. He was about 3 years old and mom was having a really bad day and I guess she started getting a little emotional with him over this..... "You have to talk! Whats the matter with you? I can't deal with this!!! You need to talk!"

Just then - That 3 year old boys first words happened

"Leave me alone!"
    Last edited by crazydiamond; 03-17-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast