Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

1) Is it acceptable for me to go out and network a couple times a month?

2) Is it acceptable for me to meet up with the illustration group once every month or two?

3) Is it acceptable for me to go to a convention once a year or so?
    When my DH was laid off in 2008, he became a consultant. What neither of us really realized at the time was how much work is involved in selling your business when you are a consultant. He spends about 30% of his time networking and upselling himself to potential clients. That is unpaid, unbillable time, so that is on top of the actual work that you do.

You and your DW need to realize that networking meetings, dinners, conventions, are not "social" events, they are critical business expenses and marketing opportunities. They are what MUST be done if you are going to have a successful business. That being said, you do need to make sure that the events you are going to are actually generating clients and actual revenue. If they aren't, then you need to find other ways.

Also, the way that DH gets the most new clients is by word of mouth from previous clients who have been happy with his work.

I thought meeting other professionals in my field would yield work. Since a lot of people in my industry pass on work when they get swamped. Unfortunately, where I live isn't exactly a hot bed for what I do. So the work is scarce.
    We live in an area that is a hotbed for his industry and he spends about 1/3 of his time just netowrking and selling himself. It is soooo important to have your face and name out there. So if you live in an area that is NOT, then you will need to spend even more of your time marketing and selling yourself. Or consider relocating to an area that is better for your industry.

Yes, this leads to potentially long hours without necessarily a lot to show for it. If DH goes to a networking event and gets a couple nibbles for a new client, he considers that a success. If he impresses someone, even if they don't hire him, they may pass his name on to others who may have work. It really is all in who you know. He goes to 3-4 conventions for his industry every year. In his business it is crucial that you been seen at these events. These types of things are necessary business expenses. He has gotten several new clients at these evetns and he also gets the opportunity to meet with non-local clients as well (many of his clients are located on the west coast and we are on the east coast).

So being a consultant has a very different type of work schedule than many other businesses.
    Last edited by egoldber; 03-18-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3