Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Cake decorating - what do I need?

I've baked DD's birthday party cake every year and plan to do so this year again. I am fine on the baking part, zero on the decorating. What do I need to get to decorate her cake - or get into the decorating thing in general? I literally have no clue. Is there some kind of special squeezy tube you decorate with, and where can I find this? Special sprinkles that help with decorating? I am literally clueless and so not Martha Stewart. Help! Thanks for any suggestions on what to buy and where. Photos of your decorated cakes would be great too! DD wants either a squirrel or Tinkerbell - um, we'll see.

for Sandy Hook

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use candy to decorate for the most part. Me and fancy frosting things don't quite work for me until I take some classes. I get most all of my ideas at Family Fun.

Those are 2 of the cakes I have made.

Beth

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I took a beginning class at JoAnn's. It was great. JoAnn's has a cake decorating box with a bunch of tips it in. You can buy bags to use as well.

ETA: I can't find the JoAnn's thing online, but I think it's $40 or so. You could just buy a bag and a star tip, too.
    Last edited by KrisM; 03-17-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Kris

I'm a decent baker but not at all good at decorating. With DS' milk allergy I don't have much choice but to make his cakes.

My first suggestion to DS is always decorate your own cupcakes for the party. Gets me off the hook, provides an activity and means that we don't all have to eat the cake he just spit all over trying to blow the candles out.

When he's refused that option, I've ordered plastic decorations to go with his "theme" off the internet. Then I just iced the cake in some appropriate color and plop the decorations on top. It's not Martha Stewart quality but he's been happy with it.

Then last year he wanted a Berenstain Bear party and I couldn't find decorations. So I inverted a wine bucket, wrapped in brown construction paper, to be a tree trunk; and balanced a round wooden cutting board on top if it, then set the layer cake on top and iced it green. Then I declared it the bears tree house. Again, not Martha Stewart, but he was happy.

Catherine

I bougth this kit at Michael's: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...2F6BB5C28339F5

It's overkill for what I do, but that's how I roll. I did have a 20% off coupon for Michael's- go buy something cheap there and see if they give you a coupon at the register, then you can go back and get this set, or a smaller one. This set has a good instruction book as well.

I did a Ladybug cake for DD's 1st birthday. I am neither patient or talented, and it was a breeze.

Two photos attached- one is her ladybug cake and the Costco cake for everyone else. The other is a closeup of the bug- mid-destruction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Becca- 02/2009

Photos of cakes with mostly just the star tip:

Kris

Photos of more free-style cakes:

Kris

I just do the stars all over the cake. I've made puppy cakes, fish cakes, Princess cakes (using a Barbie stuck inside and the cake as the skirt/dress), and last August, I attempted an elephant for my 3 year old. It would have been cute, but I used a 3D bear pan and tried adding elephant ears and the trunk and they were just too heavy. After I got over it, we all had a good laugh. I wasn't too happy while decorating though.

I really want to take a cake decorating class at Michaels and learn some other techniques. With our crazy schedules, I just have to figure out when I can do it.

Anyway, stars are easy, just time consuming. You just need some bags, couplers and a few tips. I make the Wilton buttercream icing and the colors. 3D cakes are a lot more work than 2D ones. I usually buy a cake pan for the initial shape (I have the puppy pan, the fish pan, and the 3D bear pan).

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow, before I noticed your post I just posted my own bragging post showing off my first ever cake for DS, so you can see that post for my pic. I bought a sheet cake pan (11 by 15), the Wilton "student kit" which included tips and couplers (I recommend a couple extra couplers and icing bags), a 12 color gel dye pack, and gum paste mix.
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lots of Tinkerbell cake options! To inspire you!

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.co...bell-cake.html

that said I have NEVER attempted decorating a cake myself... I have only ever made cookies from scratch ONCE. LOL! I wish you luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast