Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Husbands and In-Laws

If your husband doesn't live near his parents, how often does he talk to them on the phone? Do you bug him to call more often?

My husband would be content to talk to his mom once a month or less. He would almost never call his father (his parents are divorced), except on Xmas, maybe Father's Day, and maybe his birthday. They don't call here often, either.. his mom calls maybe once a month, once every other month. His dad calls on said holidays (and my husband's birthday, sometimes) if my husband doesn't call first.

His mom has said to me how much she misses her son, and how much she would love it if he called her more often, etc.. hinting that I should nag him to call more often. I don't think that's my job.. I'll mention it once in a while if it's been several weeks. But to be honest, I've got other things on my mind, you know?

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We live 5 hours from MIL. SIL and FIL recently passed (4 and 2 yrs ago). DH is all MIL has left (all sibs are gone etc...). DH calls him mother NIGHTLY. I mean he NEVER misses a night just to make sure she locked the doors etc... I talk to her 2-3 times a week.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Mine is the oposite. Must talk which each his father, mother, and one of his brothers for at least and hour every week. Often quite a bit more with his father.
    All of this would be fine, except that he is incapable of doing anything else while talking on the phone. Fold laundry? No. Pick up around the house? No. Watch DD while I bath both dogs? No.
    He must sit on the couch and fully dedicate himself to the conversation.
    Becca- 02/2009

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DH's family is in England. He usually talks to his mother once a week, sometimes once every other week. He rarely ever talks to his siblings and his father passed away a few years ago, but he had had a significant falling out with his father years ago anyway, so I'd never met the man.

I don't think it's your place to nag your DH to call his family more often. I think if his mother wants to speak to him more, she should call him.

Now, I do nag my DH because he never asks the kinds of questions I would ask when he speaks to his mom (how's so and so, etc). But that's just playful. If I answer the phone when she calls, I often talk to her for as long as he does (I like her).

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

Before moving across the country, we lived no more than 10 minutes from the ILs. My life was literally "Everybody Loves Raymond". Currently, we talk to them by Skype once a week, which is far less than it used to be.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

DH rarely talks to anyone in his family. His mom and stepfather live nearby and we see them fairly regularly for holidays and birthdays- maybe every other month or so- but they almost never speak on the phone. Plans are made by email between me and mil. He never speaks to his father and stepmother either, and we see them about once a year. He has 2 sisters and 2 half brothers, he doesn't speak to them either and we only see them in the company of his parents. It's kind of strange, but that's how they operate. I agree, not your job to make him call- if she wants to talk to him, she should pick up the phone!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post
    If your husband doesn't live near his parents, how often does he talk to them on the phone? Do you bug him to call more often?

My husband would be content to talk to his mom once a month or less. He would almost never call his father (his parents are divorced), except on Xmas, maybe Father's Day, and maybe his birthday. They don't call here often, either.. his mom calls maybe once a month, once every other month. His dad calls on said holidays (and my husband's birthday, sometimes) if my husband doesn't call first.

His mom has said to me how much she misses her son, and how much she would love it if he called her more often, etc.. hinting that I should nag him to call more often. I don't think that's my job.. I'll mention it once in a while if it's been several weeks. But to be honest, I've got other things on my mind, you know?
    We live in Minnesota and my ILs live in Texas. DH is on good terms with both his parents who are still married, but he talks to them only when he needs to or on birthdays or holidays. He talks to his dad much more often but only because his dad recently invested in our company. Before that, he talked to him rarely. My MIL NEVER calls me- she always calls DH's cell phone or emails him. I've told her a MILLION times that if she wants photos of the kids or of our family, wants birthday or Xmas gift ideas, she should call me, not DH. But she never does. I must be really scary!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I do remind my dh to call his parents, sibblings. I don't mind doing it at all.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DH talks to his parents 2-3 times a week. They live 3.5 hours away. I work 2 days a week but on the days I am home I usually call them myself in the morning. I like to catch up with MIL and DD likes to say "hi" to Grandma and Papaw. I also talk to my mom at least once a day (she lives 2 hours away)....is this odd???
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

He talks to his Mom every couple of weeks, his Dad once per month. I don't bother him to call more, as both of our parents are insane.

I used to bug him before the revelation hit me. Now I think he is doing as well as can be expected.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast