Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP, my DH is like yours. I do NOT bug him to call though-- it's his responsibility. And if they want to talk to him more often, they should call him. Which they do. It works out fine all around... if he doesn't remember to call them, they call us on the weekend.

Birthdays are also up to him to remember, though I've taken pity on him a little and started reminding him gently about those.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH hasn't spoken to his parents in over a year and I don't forsee him talking to them any time soon. He doesn't talk to his siblings much either...I'm very close with one of his sisters...so I talk to her say once every couple of weeks. I'm usually the ambassador and talk to his family for him...he doesn't like to talk on the phone much and he isn't fond of half of his siblings. He's pretty detached from his family. I suppose it sounds mean to say it that way but his parents are awful...they weren't the greatest parents and they are the worse grandparents. I personally used to be afraid of them (when we were dating) thinking they were so high and mighty with their perfect family and stuff...now I know better...it's all a facade. They aren't bad people...just bad parents.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMine View Post
    He only calls every once in awhile. He doesn't care for all the drama so he tries to limit contact.
    Except we live 10 minutes from the ILs. NO! I don't nag DH about calling. We have a strained relationship with the ILs, so making contact doesn't always end well.
    Leslie

Mommy to
    B 1/2004
    T 8/2008

My SO's mom is dead and his father is back on cocaine/marijuana again. He doesn't talk to his dad. He talks to one of his four sisters once in a blue moon. He had some hard core family drama before I met him, and he's still pretty bitter about it, so I don't bug him at all about it.

Mother to a precious little Kitten

Well, DH's parents live next door so we see them all.the.time. But no, I don't call my parents religiously. We e-mail some, call some. My mom reads my blog and e-mails me about it, lol. They visit every couple months or so. My bro we go a long time between calls like 2-4 months. We see he and SIL a few times a year (they live in Chicago) and get along well but he doesn't ever seem to call very often. He did call last month on DS' b-day (they share a name) but before that he had called once while DD was in the hospital. And before that not since we had seen them over Thanksgiving.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH is not a talker, so he doesn't call his mom all that much. So his mom calls me now instead! I don't mind. We see them all the time (about 1x/month) too so the fact that he doesn't call her isn't even an issue for us.
    DD
    DS

DH's mom livesd 45 mins away and his dad lives 2,000 miles away. He speaks to his mom every other day and his dad about the same. We see his dad about once a year. I really dislike (putting it mildly) his dad and don't love his mom. I put up w/both b/c they are still DH's parents. Both are remarried. DH speaks to his brother about once a week. All in all I never remind him to speak to them unless I need something. I will say that MIL and step-FIL are WONDERFUL grandparents and my children love them. For that I am grateful.

Oh and my parents live 5 mins away from us and we love that. DH gets a long wonderfully w/my parents. Better than his own. My parents are truly our closest friends. We see them about 2-4 times a week.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4