Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default anyone successfully pitched working PT?

I'm a FT WOTH mom currently on 1 year mat leave. I'm really enjoying the morning drop off routine for my elementary school aged kids. I'm mid-level management working for a local government agency doing engineering work.

Has anybody successfully pitched going to PT (I'd ask for 3/4 time) to their boss?

Outcome? Tips? Advice?

Thanks.
    --Jennifer

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did (25 hrs/week). I knew my company wanted to keep me in whatever capacity they could when I had my twins, so it was no problem to ask for work-from-home part-time.

However, I would be sure that "75%" really MEANS 75% in terms of the number of hours you work. It is WAY too easy for them to expect 100% with 75% of your salary. For me, I had to hold my ground and be sure my workweek did not exceed 25 hours. If they are only paying me for 25 hours/week I sure as hell am NOT working more than 25 hrs/week, especially if the whole reason for asking for PT was to have more time to spend with my kids.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I asked if I could go 60% when I came back, and they gave it to me. That's 24 hours a week. I sold them on three consecutive days, Mon - Wed, so that I could be consistently working for 3 solid days in a row, and the beginning of the week was mroe important than the end of the week. They agreed that this was the best, and it's worked quite well for five years.

Put togehter a formal proposal. Indicate what you do in concept, and what that means in real life -- what do you actually physically spend your time doing, how long does it take. What will you be able to do in the reduced hours of availability, and what will the impact be with the reduced duration. Show them the cost savings without (or with minimal) drop in productivity and deliverables.

It absolutely works. I hope you can make it happen!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I work as an engineer as well. After DD was born I worked 20 hours a week. Tuesdays, Wed mornings and Thursdays.

Since DS was born and I returned to work in January I chose to work only 16 hours, just Tuesdays and Thursdays.

My boss was willing to keep me in whatever capacity I chose, which I think is a little rare. It is difficult sometimes working part time because in my line of work there are on going projects I need to keep up on it's not one of those jobs where you go to work, get your work done and clock out. I sometimes have to check email or make calls at home but my boss has been really good respecting my schedule wishes (which is ironic because when I was full time he always wanted more and more hours and effort!).

I know another engineer who works for a local govement that had a similar 20 hour schedule and it worked for her until she resumed full time last year. I don't know the exact details of her schedule though.

My biggest tip is be flexible in when you work. If your boss wants consectutive days or every other day, honor that.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I went to 24 hours after having DD. Initially I went Tues-Wed-Thurs but it ended up being a pain to be away two business days in a row, so I moved to Mon-Wed-Thurs. Just about anything can wait 1 day. I love my schedule.

I think the entire key is your manager's willingness to accommodate you. To make it as easy as possible for her, give as much advanced notice as possible - mine had to pitch the idea to HER boss which took a series of meetings over about 3 weeks.

I'd also review your HR's policies on flexible work so that you can go to your manager with language consistent with what the company expects and to educate her (and yourself) about the consequences of cutting off hours. For me it meant losing disability coverage and subsidized health insurance, which was fine. Showing your manager that you've thought through all those consequences in advance is good.

And I think the best approach is "how can I best continue to be an asset to this organization" discussed with a cool head and with a business mindset.

Good luck.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post

And I think the best approach is "how can I best continue to be an asset to this organization" discussed with a cool head and with a business mindset.

Good luck.

Exactly right!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

I had originally planned to work 24 hrs, 8 of which would be at home after I had Emily, I soon realized that I coudn't get 8 hrs of work done at home effectively, so I worked more in office, 20 in office and only 4 at home. After Katie, I work 2 ten hour days, 7-5 with the flexibility to stay late when needed, I do pay myself hourly though, the equiv per hr what my salary was. But I do a min of 20 hrs per week now. I have worked at my job for 11 years now, all with the same boss. It has helped that I am very conscientious of getting my work done and trying as best as I can to remain consistent with my work schedule, which is Tues and Thurs. I also have an awesome boss who is flexible and he is my friend too and not just a boss, so that has helped the process. I like my job and need the adult stimulation. Depending on how your talk goes, you may need to give up some things to get what you want, I get v. little paid vacation now, I only take the major holidays as paid for me if they fall on a tues or thurs and take maybe 2 paid days a yr for vacation.
    Jen

Emily 5/19/05
    Katie 8/14/07
    Chase 10/31/12

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, have done it twice. (Although now am back to full-time, but still somewhat flexible.) And also was involved as a manager in deciding whether someone on my team could go part-time. In full disclosure, that was denied as she was an average-at-best employee, and not someone either my manager or I wanted to use as a precedent setter.

Do a little research first to make sure you're not depriving yourself of benefits unnecessarily. Some companies have 'thresholds' for benefits and/or vacation at 20 hrs, while others are at 24, 30, or 32. If either are important to you, make sure you plan accordingly. (ie don't suggest a 30 hr week if 32 hrs is where the cutoff is)

As others have said, put together a proposal and present it - whether orally or in writing. If you sense/expect pushback, make sure to include a review at 90 days, with the understanding both sides might need to make adjustments sooner if it's really not working.

One other thing - if you are in a somewhat flexible job now, you may not be gaining quite as much time as you think if you go to 4 days a week. Most people (including me) find/found that all doctors appts, school stuff, etc that normally might have gotten worked into your schedule is now all on your day 'off'.

Good luck!

ChefGirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post
    I'm a FT WOTH mom currently on 1 year mat leave. I'm really enjoying the morning drop off routine for my elementary school aged kids. I'm mid-level management working for a local government agency doing engineering work.

Has anybody successfully pitched going to PT (I'd ask for 3/4 time) to their boss?

Outcome? Tips? Advice?

Thanks.
    --Jennifer
    GREAT QUESTION! I am seriously thinking about that too. However, I have to carry our family's medical insurance so I can only go down to 30 hours per week. I'm also in a finance position where I have month/quarter/year-end responsibilities. I would love to be able to pick up my oldest at carpool around 3:15ish everyday and then take them to whatever activites they are in...but, I also drop off my oldest to school in the moring around 8....Also, all 3 kids go to private school and full time day-care so taking a 25% pay cut is hard... although they may give me 80% or 83%ish since I do put in some over-time during quarter-end and year-end. I'm so conflicted......
    Chefgirl
    Mommy to 3 WILD and SWEET kids

I pitched it and got turned down -- my manager and her manager were very supportive, but I was told that no P/T was a company-wide decision that had recently been revisited and wasn't likely to change soon. I will try again just prior to beginning my mat leave (in June). I don't want to dampen your spirits, but don't feel like a failure if you run up against a brick wall!
    Emma in Bermuda
    Mama to furkids Beau and Mattie
    DS1 born June 2010
    DS2 born November 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast