Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did and was successful. . . but there was already a part-time position and a full time position, and it was very easy for me to assume the part time position instead of the full time one. The boss was happy I was staying in any capacity.

It has worked well as far as the work goes. Unfortunately, between the economy and DH's wishes to not watch DD more than absolutely necessary, I haven't gotten as many hours as I planned on financially.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PearlsMom View Post
    I pitched it and got turned down -- my manager and her manager were very supportive, but I was told that no P/T was a company-wide decision that had recently been revisited and wasn't likely to change soon. I will try again just prior to beginning my mat leave (in June). I don't want to dampen your spirits, but don't feel like a failure if you run up against a brick wall!

same here. I left the job and DH and I moved 6 months after being turned down. We likely would have stayed if I would have been given PT.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm 80% part-time at the minimum hours required that keep my full benefits. I went PT after DD1, was asked to come back FT when she was 3, then went back to PT after DD2. What helped greatly going PT after DD2 was the economy. The company was cost-cutting and laying people off, and my decreased salary and benefits helps the bottom line.

However, I have had to come in on my days off or log in from home at times. Though it is not often, there are some weeks where I get PT pay but am working FT hours. When I first proposed PT after DD1, I told my boss that I would still be able to meet my deadlines. Without that commitment, I doubt I would've been allowed to go PT. I work in Finance, and some of these deadlines are not flexible so I have to be the one that is flexible. My boss and I would also meet periodically to discuss how my schedule was working out for me personally and for work.

Something to consider...Would you be open to an alternative work schedule or working from home in case you get turned down for PT? That is what I would be asking for if I were ever told to go back to FT again. People at my company telecommute several days a week, work 5 9-hour days and take every other Friday off, or work 4 10-hour days with every Friday off.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2